So It's been about two months since cycling..now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is going well, I think. I do have some brown algae on the glass and some darn snail eggs, but I can get more cleaners and scrape off the eggs. Water parameters are perfect, ph is a bit low like always. (i think I need a bit less water and more air on the top of my tank)

I will be getting more live rock when the next good shipment is in at my lfs. I have 32lbs as of now. I have enough fish for now. I want to work towards a reef tank.

What is next? Should I add small inverts such as a emerald crab, starfish, shrimp and things like that?

Should I do my lighting upgrade next so that I can eventually add my first coral? (i need something of high wattage that will fit in my two 36 inch hoods)

I want to have the best tank I can have and go in the right order. My tank just seems barren right now...I don't want to rush into things though. I have patience!

Thanks for your help.
:p
Courtney

I would work on filling the tank with liverock. I would aim for around 100lbs total. In the meantime, I would add more inverts. I'd skip the emerald crabs but add some more algae grazing snails and blue legged hermits. Also, if you have a deep sand bed, I would add some sand stirring snails like nassarius or ceriths. Starfish are helpful janitors but remember that they need to be supplemented. They will eat leftovers but I would offer the star a piece of shrimp or fish once or twice a week to be sure it gets enough. I would also stick to the serpent stars. These are hardy, small, easy going stars that are great reef helpers. Brittle stars are nice too but pass on the green ones. Also, pass on any of the linkias til you have a mature tank. They are delicate and don't thrive well in new systems. Once you have all your rock and a good working cleanup crew, then I would concentrate on lighting. HTH

I like long spined urchins. I have a pencil and a pincushion urchin. The pencil has algae growing on him! LOL! The picushion has taken my old hydrometer on a tour of the tank (I think I may have a pic). He has also taken snails, shells, small rocks, a piece of red algae on tours. The last ones to get a tour was two snails, a shell with a bristle worm in it!

Cool! Heading to two LFS today to try to get more inverts and clean up crew. I am sure if I get more, my darn brown algae on the glass will go away. I will also look for those specific urchins and starfish. Yeah, I did like my old mithrax emerald crab (till big hermit ate him) but I swear he didn't do or eat much algae?
:)

Back
Top Bottom