Something to be concerned about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceans n Indy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TheseImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424012626.996301.jpg have just popped up in our cube. Not sure what they are, to be concerned or not, and what to so about them. 28 gal cube, running about a month now, two black clowns and an anemone in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's cyanobacteria. It's from excessive nutrients and light. Overfeeding and inadequate nutrient export is usually the cause. It's a symptom of a problem that should be a concern.

I am sure we probably overfeed, so we will cut that back. It's on my calendar to change water out today. Is there any special precautions I should take when changing? What are other protocols for my conundrum? Is a clean up crew on the sand and live rock in order?

No. No crabs, snails or shrimp will lessen the nutrient level. Just do your water changes and vacuum out what you can with each change. Feed sparingly. You can cut back to a couple/few times a week and only small amounts.

Thanks so much for the guidance, you also mentioned lighting. Should we leave the light off for extended periods of time. It has the regular light that we turn on in the day (about 10 hours) then switch it to the blue setting overnight.

Thanks so much for the guidance, you also mentioned lighting. Should we leave the light off for extended periods of time. It has the regular light that we turn on in the day (about 10 hours) then switch it to the blue setting overnight.

You run the blues all night? Not a good idea, your fish appreciate some down time. Generally people run the blues for an hour or 2 before and after they turn the whites on, and run them both together for them lights off for the night.

No, you need light for the corals and anemone, and I agree- shut the blues off at night. Do your best to mimic the natural day. Don't worry...a few weeks and you'll see a big improvement.

I do have an option of taking the anemone out of the cube and putting it in our 55 gal reef tank that is more mature - a year old +/- a month. It has a porcupine puffer, lion fish, and two blue fin damsels. The black clowns in the cube seem to care less about the anemone.

They may eventually get interested in it. Meanwhile, if the anemone is doing well, there's no reason to stress it with another move IMO. If it starts declining, it's good to know you have another option for it.

More rookie questions about the anemone in our 29g cube...it had nestled in the sand for a week+, but has since removed itself and is floating around now. Tank stats and questions...ammonia 0, trites 0, trates 40, pH 8.1, SG .0123, temp 80. Have been battling the Cyanobacteria (I think, or have been helped with trying to diagnose in earlier posts) and doing water changes 5 gals at a time - today/tomorrow will be 2nd WC on a weekly frequency. Have reduced feeding the tank to 1/2 cube of Cyclops every 2-3 days, and have been leaving the light on less.
Questions -
•What is going on with the anemone and what to do if anything.
•Are we feeding it the right thing, or should we use something else (what else, how, and how often).
•Does it look healthy, or is this the beginning of trouble?
•Is the tank not established enough (something I've seen mentioned in various other postings)? It's roughly a month old, and again I have another 55g tank running for a year+
Any an all thoughts or suggestions are always much appreciated. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425137623.363896.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425137666.441918.jpg

It looks bleached. That's not good. feeding it anything large is stressful to it (it takes a lot of energy to process food). Also, it letting go is a sign it's not happy and would like to relocate to a better spot. It could very well be the nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom