southdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
can someone help me with getting some ?? ill pay the shipping and there time if fare!!drove to florida and stopped along the way at a few homedepot with no luck seen stuff that might of worked but didnt want to chance it !! live in illinois and cant find it !!! i did find a site selling reef sand for $30 for 40 lbs not bad !! mabe be better that way this stuff gold or what hehehe

they have it at the home depot on bluemound road waukesha, wi.

Also might try Home Depot at

2000 August dr
Ontario, Ohio 44906
419-529-0015

I got some there but that was awhile back.

It also comes under another brand name, but for the life of me I can't remember the name :oops:

Have you tried getting your local Home Depot to do a stock transfer from a store that does stock it? I've heard of a few rare instances where this has actually worked, maybe you'll get lucky. As far as shipping some to you I've done a lot of research on different shipping methods and Grayhound bus is about as cheap as it comes but it still isn't really feasible.

YardRight Tropical play sand, straight from the caribbean is the same as south down have also heard some walmarts are stocking it by some castle name...good luck.

If your looking for an alternitive to southdown then you might want to look at. http://www.purearagonite.com/home.HTMl

the cost is a bit more but if your having to have it shipped any way maybe you can do some kind of bulk purchase deal in your area and purchase a 1/2 or even a full pallet of this stuff.

alrmc4, you mentioned walmart is stocking it by some "castle name" I actualy was going to post this question myself.

I went to my HomeDepot and found ONE bag of southdown sand and cheered! Literaly sitting right next to it was a pallet full of sand in a nearly identicle bag! Same colors, same words same little kid cartoon on the front and everything. Looking closely I found there were three differences:
Onc said "Southdown" in big letters at the top of the bag, the other did not.
Also, the other bag had "Oldcastle Stone products" in little letters at the bottom, the southdown bag did not.
The oldcastle bag said "not recommended for aquarium use" in tiny letters near the bottom of the bag.

Is oldcastle the same as southdown? same company etc? The sand itself looks identicle as well.

from the info i gathered at reefcentral (sorry for mentioning another board guys) it is the same stuff you can always do the vinegar test to make sure...p.s was at hd today sold out :x

if you put alittle sand in your hand and a drop or 2 of vinegar on it it should fizz and disolve if it is the right thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Southdown Tropical Play Sand in the Chicagoland area. Do a search on this site to find out how incredible this sand really is.
The only way I could get these 50 lb bags was to buy a whole pallet. Needless to say I didn't turn a swimming pool into a reef tank so I have a little extra. $17.50 sound reasonable and all the money made will go to trying to afford live rock. The next big step in the evolution of my tank
Let me know what you think, 35 cent a pound seem to blow the alternatives out of the water Thanks
Call me on my cell 6308808176

Back
Top Bottom