southdown sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just read that the people at southdown sand warn that they spray somekind of oily liquid on the sand when they ship it to keep it from blowing out of their trucks. I dont know if there is any truth to this just thought id share it with ya.

if they spray it with anything, it's probably sodium or calcium brine ... both work good at dust control and are used extensively here on dirt roads.

neither would be particularly harmfull I'd think - and would rinse out in water.

I don't think they'd use any oils on their retail product as it would make it unsafe for childern to play in.

Hm.

I doubt its OIL based as if it was we should see an oil slick on the top of the water and we dont.

If they ship it like this then where do they bag it? Are you suggesting they mill it out of limestone at one location and bag it at another?

Are you suggesting they mill it out of limestone at one location and bag it at another?

Prozacly, SD sand is mined in the Bahamas and then transported by container ship to Fort Meyer's Florida, and then shipped to the manufacturers via train and transfer tuck. There is even a yard that stores it here in Jacksonville, FL. However, good luck getting it...

Then it is bagged and sold in the store..

Hm, i was under the impression it was transported as blocks of limestone. I know its bagged in PA or NJ. I forget which.

All i can tell you is in the tanks I have seen it used in I have never seen a residue from it. And im sure if what they used was toxic there would be MANY hobbists that would have discoverd its negitive results. Seems like for at least the last 3 years hobbists have been prasing this stuff.

At what point does the limestone get seperated and go to caribsea. Since its reported they get the rawmaterials from the same location.

The raw material is mined from the sea floor. I don't understand what you mean by Limestone. It isn't mined in a quarry....

CarribSea and SouthDown, Old Castle, and YardRight, all get their sand from Marcona Industries....

SouthDown, Old Castle, and YardRight package it for Play Sand, and CarribSea packages for Aquaria...

Back
Top Bottom