Stalled Cycle?? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The nitrate bottle that is a clear liquid (I cant remember if its bottle one or bottle two) has to be shaken very very hard for the test to be accurate

spoonman said:
Make sure that you are doing the nitrate test correctly. It is very important that you follow the instructions to the T. Not shaking the bottles....etc will throw off the results.

Yeah im aware of that, didn't know it at first a few years ago but I've been doing bottle 1 shaking the test tube, shaking bottle 2 and adding then waiting a few mins.. still no such luck

furrymurray said:
The nitrate bottle that is a clear liquid (I cant remember if its bottle one or bottle two) has to be shaken very very hard for the test to be accurate

Its bottle 2, I've actually tried a couple diff ways the past couple days, every time the result is the same

Okay I'm an idiot.. I knew I had to shake bottle #2 but I didn't know I had shake the test tube bottle for a minute afterwards. I thought it was just a quick shake and that was it.. here are my numbers

HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0-.25ppm (closer to 0)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm

I'm cycled :)

DanS180 said:
Okay I'm an idiot.. I knew I had to shake bottle #2 but I didn't know I had shake the test tube bottle for a minute afterwards. I thought it was just a quick shake and that was it.. here are my numbers

HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0-.25ppm (closer to 0)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm

I'm cycled :)

Well glad u figured it out. However I would still dose the ammonia, especially since you have ammonia still. Only dose to say 2ppm. If your tank is properly cycled it will convert to nitrates quickly, with a few days max and it will strengthen you BB colonies since ammonia dis not get very high in the first place. This may not be needed but its playing it safe. Im sure you have a few days to spare anyway.

Schism said:
Well glad u figured it out. However I would still dose the ammonia, especially since you have ammonia still. Only dose to say 2ppm. If your tank is properly cycled it will convert to nitrates quickly, with a few days max and it will strengthen you BB colonies since ammonia dis not get very high in the first place. This may not be needed but its playing it safe. Im sure you have a few days to spare anyway.

Yes I do, mainly bc I'm working 12 hr shifts the next few days so I won't have time for anything else except testing haha thanks for your help, you've been a big help! :)

DanS180 said:
Yes I do, mainly bc I'm working 12 hr shifts the next few days so I won't have time for anything else except testing haha thanks for your help, you've been a big help! :)

Yep no problem. And i understand the 12 hrs shifts, been working them myself for way too long.

DanS180 said:
Yeah haha they never get old right?

Haha, what i would give for some free time. Its even worse when its graveyard shift. But how else would i pay for this great hobby lol.

Work 27 16 hour shifts in a row like I did and get promoted to supervisor. Now I post in the forums all day and get paid for it.

Yeah thats what i pretty much do at work all day, and im a mechanic haha and the assistant manager so i do what i want :) i leave for work at 7AM and usually by noon, i have to charge my phone bc ive been on the App all day long haha :)

Back
Top Bottom