Starfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindicator

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I have been reading on the forums that when putting a starfish in a tank, even exposing them to a little bit of air can hurt. But I don't want bag water in my tank. So how am I supposed to get him from the LFS bag and into the tank without a water transfer?

You should have very little water from the store or else where get into your tank. I would say to empty 1/2 of the bagged water keeping your star completly submersed in H20 , start your drip acclimation you will empty again once you double your h20 once that is done take your star fish in the bag and gently scoop him out ,and place into the tank and can quckly tie off the bag and very little water will get in to your tank , I have also used organizing trays in a bucket to allow me to keep them in water and let it over flow and empty out again and then take the tray and plac tray and fish in your tank and remove , there is no 100% way of keeping all the water out but 99% should stay out and the other 1% would not hurt your tank ...:)

That`s a good way that Sadie gave. I add a 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag every 20 minute for about 3-4 hours dumping alot of the water out of the bag every hour. By the time you drop the bag under water to get the star out there is very little LFS water still in the bag. Doing it quickly and like sadie said makes it likely even less water will get in. Just a quick note that stars need a mature tank so I hope you do not have a new tank.

Its a future reference. I am trying to set up what I would like in the future, and trying to learn all I can about them now.

Trying to get a future peaceful cleanup crew together. Was thing about a sea cucumber for awhile, but I don't want to deal with a Nuke. So instead I am thinking about a Star for a sand shifter. That and a fighting conch.

Ya I had heard that the goby was a great sand shifter. Only problem I read about was that they can get sand all over corals? Is that right? That would not be a problem for me atm, but maybe in the future.

They can but I would not worry if you keep them up on the rock work , tho if you keep lower ones a turkeybaster would be necessary ;) I would say the benift out weighs the risk , if it is for a nano skip the star altogether :)

I really would like a starfish but I only have a 46gallon and I am not aware of any starfish really that would thrive in a tank this small. I think most starfish need a 100gallon or larger tank. Although I am not 100%sure of all the different kinds of starfish that exist and there requirements this is just what I have gathered so far.

I dont know Fijiwigi. If you had a mature tank I would say you could have one in that size tank (46 gallon). Every once in a while just put a piece of an algea wafer under it. JMO

I dont know Fijiwigi. If you had a mature tank I would say you could have one in that size tank (46 gallon). Every once in a while just put a piece of an algea wafer under it. JMO
In your opinion and after my tank is more mature of course. What starfish would you recommend anything with bright colors? I have other things to accomplish first but it would be nice to do some studying if having a starfish is at all a possibility.

I forgot but your tank is a reef tank right? A linknia star will be OK. They come in many colors. Read THIS

Here is a few pics of mine.

100_0423.jpg

000_0252.jpg

100_1046.jpg

I forgot but your tank is a reef tank right? A linknia star will be OK. They come in many colors. Read THIS
I read the article thank you. Your starfish are awesome. I am doing reef don't have any corals yet still studying and taking it slow. The linkia is not recommended for tanks under 50gallons. Mine is 46 could possibly starve if it rejects feedings. If I was sure about upgrading to a larger tank later I would probably get one. If only there was a smaller starfish version.

Back
Top Bottom