Start tank with our without LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if I should start my tank with LR in it from day 1 or can I go ahead and cycle my tank first and then add it?
The rock has already been cured.

Thanx

Start cycling your tank with the LR. This way your tank will be ready for live stocks once it has gone through the cycling process,and you don't have to worry about amonia and nitrite spike later.

Ifoundnemo had good advice, you can cycle your tank without lr, but when you add it, the lr could be enough to make another ammonia spike, which leads to higher nitrite, and nitrate, so if you have the $$ to buy the lr now, you might as well get it done with, plus you will have something to look at in the tank besides a decaying shrimp. JMHO.

I have not done it yet...but I will be cycling first WITHOUT liverock after christmas. I will doing a cycle with just a DSB and 30lbs of Dry Base Rock.

I am doing this in an effort minimize the cycle I will have when I add the liverock. I am sure I will have a small cycle when the LR is added...but I am doing this in an attempt to preserve as many hitchhikers as possible so they don't get ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

I am in no hurry for livestock...and also help me spread out the cost of setting up the tanks over a few months.

I will update everyone with my results when I start the process.

WC

Back
Top Bottom