start to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
im getting my 40lbs of fiji live rock this thursday or friday for my 75 gal tank and i wont be able to get my HOB emperor 400 filter until next week....

i havent filled up my tank yet...
i am planning to do that tomorrow or the next day before my live rock gets here...

my plan is to-----------
1.add the playsand (80lbs)
2.add the tap water and add the dechlorinating drops
3.add the salt mix
4.add the live sand (25lbs)
5.install the powerheads (2 aquaclear 4000)

then until thursday or friday... add the live rock
and until next week add the HOB emperor 400 filter

my questions are....
1. Would not having the filter yet be a problem?....
2. should i add some raw shrimp even if i dont have the filter yet or should i wait till next week when i get my filter to add the raw shrimp?....
3. when should i install the protein skimmer (prizm deluxe)...
4. are there any suggestions in what to do or how to deal with the live rock before i put it in the tank or after its in the tank?....

any opinions or suggestions are welcome.......

thanks to everyone and aquariumadvice.com!!!!!!

ok, i'm not 100% positive about this, but i dont think you should put that little of lr into a tank that size without it being cycled. there wont be enough lr to remove and actually filter and break down the nitrates/ammonia. again im not positive, i start my tanks sterile and slowly add things to mature it. before dumping stuff into it.

but about the plan.. you should install the powerheads before adding the salt. you want the tank salinity to be uniform. yes diffusion will eventually make it even out, but if you go on that route of planning, you could potentionally under/oversalt the tank and never know it.

so install the powerheads, keep water moving when you add the salt, and add the salt slowly, to avoid having to dilute the tank.

Salmo is partially correct. LR added to a uncycled tank will have more die off (as ammonia rises) than would LR added to a cycled tank... But ANY LR is a good thing. You don't have to have the filter to start, but it will help to add later. If you haven't bought the HOB filter don't buy it... Get more LR instead. I wish I hadn't bought my filters and had bought more LR in the beginning. Check out the BERLIN Method on google to read more about this method.

Go ahead add the shrimp once you have the tank set up with the water, LR and PHs. Don't add the skimmer until you are done cycling...

The emperor 400 is a good filter by the way...

Would not having the filter yet be a problem?....
No, just add it when you get it.
should i add some raw shrimp even if i dont have the filter yet or should i wait till next week when i get my filter to add the raw shrimp?....
there will be considerable die-off on the LR that may start the cycle. A shrimp i ot a bad idea.
when should i install the protein skimmer (prizm deluxe)...
You do not really need the skimmer during the cycle. It will be of little benefit as there are no DOC for it to remove. Wait 3-4 weeks then add it.
are there any suggestions in what to do or how to deal with the live rock before i put it in the tank or after its in the tank?....
For a new, uncycled tank you have less worries. You can dip the LR in a bucket of SW and clean off any visable dead stuff, if ther is any. Then right into the main.

annd how will I add the live sand to seed the playsand????
after the water is ready with salt and the powerheads have been running to mix it/// should i turn the powerheads off for a minute and put in the live sand?????
or what should i doo???

thankss againn everyon2@!!!!

Juster said:
2.add the tap water and add the dechlorinating drops

I would suggest you think about buying RO/DI water. Tap water can have lots of PO4 which will cause algae problems.
wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just throw in a phosphate sponge? oh hey you're from vancouver! i live in victoria.

Back
Top Bottom