Started, getting back after 8-10 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's been 8-10 years since I left saltwater. I've been dreaming of going back since and just now getting to it. I forgot how much I missed the challenges. Right now I hate the rock work, it's a pain trying to get it just right. I'm working on trying to lower my kh and raising my calcium levels.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422989122816.jpg
    1422989122816.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 1422989150397.jpg
    1422989150397.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1422989186644.jpg
    1422989186644.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 84
Pictures from when I kept moving things around and/or a couple weeks back

Attachments

• 1422989339534.jpg
    1422989339534.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 1422989363562.jpg
    1422989363562.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 115
Are there corals in the tank? Sorry, I cant tell for sure. lol I wouldnt try chasing kh and calcium levels with additives....best to do a nice sized water change and those levels should adjust themselves.
AS far as the rockwork, I kinda like it...the only thing I would change is to make sure there is space between the rocks and the side glass, will make cleaning so much easier.

No corals yet till I get the issues resolved. My calcium is at the lowish end 400 and my kh was to high in the tank. The calcium is the same when I mix and kh is lower. I just been dosing to try to get cal up around 440. The anemone was moving around non stop from place to place then found a spot under a rock. Kinda annoying if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if it's to much flow or the light

I don't think your alk is high if your calcium is 400. If you are using an API test kit I bet your calcium is much lower. Double check that. Anemones can be more sensitive than corals. I suggest water changes to level out things also. Low calcium is not a big deal and usually won't kill something like alk swings will. A few partial water changes with a reef grade salt mix and you'll be fine...and I bet that anemone will stop moving too.

I added calcium earlier today. Now my calcium is at 440 and kh 268.5. What's mixed in my bucket for water changes is at 107.4 kh. I was doing daily water changes of 2.5 gallons. I backed off now and only doing them every other day

I am using the api test kit then beat myself up when I realised magnisium isn't part of it. I'm gonna swap it out as soon as I get money saved up now lol. Its going to be a while before I get corals.

I couldn't believe how much pricing went up since I was doing it before. I remember paying $9.99 for clownfish now they are up over $30. Frags was cheaper too

Last edited:
yes prices shot through the roof no doubt , but like the rest of us I'm sure you wont let that stop you .
I found just letting the rocks lay as they lay gives the look of a more natural look , just wait till you add coral you'll see what I mean , so far things look great ,
what kind of clowns are they hard to tell in pict

yes prices shot through the roof no doubt , but like the rest of us I'm sure you wont let that stop you .
I found just letting the rocks lay as they lay gives the look of a more natural look , just wait till you add coral you'll see what I mean , so far things look great ,
what kind of clowns are they hard to tell in pict

Misbar and they was the cheapest ones $25.99

It's not going to scare me away.. I'm actually thinking of changing the 180 over for predators

those will be my next choice when ever I start my next tank
been slowly running out the fresh water giving things away
I enjoy my 37g predator tank but not much of choice with this size tank

I'm about right there with you except my shrimp tanks. I'm bored with all the others. I'm up to 13 now

Can I get away with just using my well water on a fish only tank?

If I have to use ro/di than the 180 is out of the question.

Depending on what is in your well water you may be ok, but I would strongly urge you to consider using ro/di water. Less chance of running into algae issues along the way. I make ALOT, and I mean ALOT of water and it doesnt really cost much. I change out my carbon and sediment filters every 6 months and the di resin maybe every 3 months, if that.

What I'm worried about is the well going out, ro/di wastes a lot of water. My tds is in the 500s so it probably end up growing algae everywhere. Oh well I have plenty of time to think about it.

With this tank I don't understand what's buffering my kh up so high in the tank. Will the kh swings hurt what's in the tank if I try doing bigger water changes than the 2.5 I'm doing now? It's not coming down

I did a 5 gallon water change and moved the rocks all around. I wasn't crazy for it, plus I wanted to get more flat areas around the tank. Took Carey's advice and made space between the rock and side glass. Took a panoramic picture and it made it look like there is 4 misbars. I'll test it after I get kids from school.

Where do y'all get your corals from?

Attachments

• 1423075524956.jpg
    1423075524956.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 88
I like the new rocks a lot better. I like the arch in the back. Um I get my corals from friends, swaps, and sometimes stores. I've ordered from pacificeastaquaculture and gotten good stuff for ok prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't trust readings from API. What salt are you using? Most likely your levels are fine and your doing more bad then good changing them.

Well now the test results ugh.. this is just a 5 gallon change with salt water only no additives

Phospate o.5
Nitrate 0 -5 dropped from 5-10
Calcium 440
Kh 232.7 dropped from 268.5
Ph looked more like 8 could have been 7.8 so it dropped from 8.2

I'm ready to scream

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust readings from API. What salt are you using? Most likely your levels are fine and your doing more bad then good changing them.

Instant ocean

I like the new rocks a lot better. I like the arch in the back. Um I get my corals from friends, swaps, and sometimes stores. I've ordered from pacificeastaquaculture and gotten good stuff for ok prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I like it better now too.. I'll probably just go to a family owned shop that has some really nice ones.

Back
Top Bottom