Started Up My Nanocube Last Night w/Pics - Let the Cycle Begin (Hopefully)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a RO/DI filter a few days ago and went ahead and made up 30 gallons using Seachem Reef Salt in a tub with a powerhead and heater. SG 1.023 and PH around 8.5 (I know a little high but I added a hair more buffer than I needed....that Seachem salt really brings up PH). Let it circulate a couple days then in the tank it went along with my LR from the LFS. About half the LR is tank cured for a few months but the rest had only been in tanks for a couple weeks. Hopefully it'll help kickstart my cycle. Tank is setup on my 2nd floor foyer/balcony and can be seen from many parts of the house. Looks really cool with the house lights out and the tanklights on. I get wave reflections in the downstairs living room, sitting room, and kitchen.

I'm currently just running the powerheads and heater during the cycle. No skimmer, lights, etc. I have to do my aquascape tonight and add my sand. I have some larger pieces of LR to break up and I'll probably sacrifice some smaller pieces into rubble for my filter basket. I was only supposed to have 30 lbs or LR, but I weighed the styro cooler with only a wet sheet of paper in it over the LR and got almost 50 lbs:D LFS hooked me up I guess.

How long should I wait till a PWC? I plan on getting some Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate readings today to see what's going on.

Anyways, here's some pics. NOT MY AQUASCAPE!!!! Just laid the LR out on bottom.

p1030231.jpg

p1030224.jpg

p1030229.jpg

p1030233.jpg

p1030234.jpg

Another quick question....my LFS recommended the Caribsea Aragalive Reef Sand as substrate but it looks somewhat coarse to me. They say it's fine for gobys and other sand sifters, but man....it just looks big. Any experiences?

Well, no real ammonia spikes yet so I may add a piece of shrimp to see whats going on.

On another note, my hitchhikers seem to be flourishing. UNfortunately, other than a couple of small mushrooms (I think), they all appear to be aiptasia and bristleworms:-? After all the cool hitchhikers I could have gotten, lucky me gets those 2 ...LOL:D

Back
Top Bottom