Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, 2 chromis, a clownfish, and a goby would be great. Could probably get one or two other small fish and some inverts.

Chromis are a type of damsel, but they are completely peaceful and quite docile. Never have I seen one get aggressive.

You could get away with a flame angel. How about a flame angel and a pair of clowns or cardinals with a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair

obscurereef said:
Chromis are a type of damsel, but they are completely peaceful and quite docile. Never have I seen one get aggressive.

I had a school of 5 and nipped at the weakest of the school til near death which many others have seen the same behavior. My dominant male wouldn't even allow new additions to the tank including my clove polyps.

Flame angels are fine in a 30 gallon tank, but they are semi-aggressive (and not reef-safe really, but since you aren't getting corals it doesn't matter). I think they can nip at some inverts, but not really sure.

You could get away with a flame angel. How about a flame angel and a pair of clowns or cardinals with a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair

I think a clown, a cardinal, and the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp pair and a flame angel (might be pushing it) would be a stunning combo.

obscurereef said:
I think a clown, a cardinal, and the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp pair and a flame angel (might be pushing it) would be a stunning combo.

I meant either a pair of clowns or a pair of cardinals not both ;)

I had a school of 5 and nipped at the weakest of the school til near death which many others have seen the same behavior. My dominant male wouldn't even allow new additions to the tank including my clove polyps.

I suppose that could be true for larger groups, but probably not 1-3 chromis. For example, cardinals are very shy if there is one, and quite lonely, put when in a small group they can be aggressive. I've only had 3 chromis and they were very shy and peaceful.

I meant either a pair of clowns or a pair of cardinals not both ;)

You could do both though...I think that would create more variety and look better. If you had to choose between the clownfish pair or cardinalfish pair, I'd say clownfish, cardinals are nocturnal and don't do much (not a lot of movement).

obscurereef said:
You could do both though...I think that would create more variety and look better. If you had to choose between the clownfish pair or cardinalfish pair, I'd say clownfish, cardinals are nocturnal and don't do much (not a lot of movement).

If you have an oscillating current it can make a neat display as they move in unison towards the current (cardinals that is) but 5 fish in a 29 is a bit heavy on the Bioload with one of them being a large boddied fish (angel)

Back
Top Bottom