Starting 75 Gallon Reef. Need sump/setup help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting a 75 gallon tank w/ overflow, stand, and sump from a friend. I want to make it a reef tank. However, I need a new sump for the pump and a protein skimmer. How do I choose a pump? Submersible or external? What brand? What GPH? Which protein skimmer? Overall, looking to spend about $200 for each item. Any advice is appreciated!

You need to know how many GPH the overflow is rated at. Than you simply get one that is rated slightly more than the overflow. This way you can plumb a gate valve in after the return pump so you can ensure that they match perfectly.
As for the skimmer, there are many brands that work well from eshopps to reef octopus.

Gotcha, that makes sense. And because its used, how do I find the GPH of the overflow?

My friend doesn't know the size of the overflow box. Is there any other way I can find out what size pump I should get?

Do you have a pic of it? Not that that will necessarily help but it may. With skimmers you want it rated about twice the size of your system. So you'd want a skimmer that can handle 150 gallons or so

Back
Top Bottom