Starting a 10g, wanna get it all right this time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
So as some of you may know I already have a 14g Biocube, and although setting that up went fairly smoothly, I'd like to know I'm definitely doing everything right the second time around and haven't missed anything!

So basically I have a 10g long tank (was at my dad's house, used it long long ago as a FW tank) that I've decided to setup as a micro-reef. I hope to keep some soft corals and some not very complicated hard corals, but I'd like to have the ability to add in any type of coral I want, so I wanna get some lighting that will have me covered wherever I choose to venture in the future.

First off, the tank has been stored with gravel and plastic plants inside of it for a while now. And by that, I mean about 9 years..so what could I use to clean the inside of it that will be safe? Most of the grime has come off using just water, I figured using detergent would be okay, but I wanna make sure. Is it okay to use windex on the inside to get the glass crystal clear?

Also, I have a filter that's rated for up to 30gallons so I figure it should be alright? I'll provide more details once I get back home to where the filter is and all (model, etc). Also have the heater and thermometer covered (have extras), so I figure now I need an air pump..what kind of pump should I be looking at? I figure nothing too large since it's just a 10gallon, but since my first tank was a BioCube, I'm not very good at seeking out components.

Also, I need ligthing. I have a cover on the tank but it has a 25w ballast for 2 bulbs and I know that's not enough nor does it support the right bulb type. What kind of lighting ensemble should I be looking into? And how do I go about finding a lid that will support it? What wattage would you guys reccomend in order to grow most corals and have a nice bright shine? I'd preferrably like something that comes with moonlights.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Now with this in mind, I was thinking of putting in 15lbs of live sand and 10 lbs of live rock, would that be a good amount? And as for cicling, afte reading it would seem the best way to cicle it is to put in a raw shrimp and let it decompose, observe the cicle, and wait for all the parameters to stabilize?

Thank you for taking the time to read, and feel free to add in any extra advice you may have or things I might have missed :)

I dont personally have a nano tank, but I'll certainly try to give you a few tips from what I know :)

As for cleaning the aquarium, I would use vinegar to clean it. For stubborn caked on stuff in the aquarium, fill and soak with vinegar. It's much safer than using detergent or other chemicals. Windex contains ammonia which is bad for the aquarium, especially after setting it up. I just use RO/DI water on a cloth to wipe mine off, but you can also purchase natural cleaners or ones especially for aquariums that would be good.

Live rock - generally 1-2lbs of live rock per gallon is pretty good. If you can do 20# for the 10 gal it'd probably be ideal, especially in such a small tank, it should help keep it a bit more stable.

You've got the cycling down perfect! Sounds like you've done some good research. Have fun and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom