Starting a 29g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please let me know if I am on the right track. After much prowling of the interwebs, posting things in the wrong place here :)whistle:) and bugging people at the LFS:

Equipment list:

29 gallon tank with stock LED hood (already have it)
~40lbs sand (not live)
~40lbs live rock
x2 Koralia nano 240 circulation pumps
instant ocean
API test kit for saltwater
siphon (don't want to cross contaminate with my freshwater tanks)
buckets (salt tank exclusive)

Protein skimmer? Not sure about this one... A lot of things I read say a tank this size with small stock doesn't need one. Maybe I will try to get away without one and then get one if I run into issues?

Tentative (very) stock:

x2 tank bred ocellaris clowns
x1 firefish
inverts TBD...would love a starfish though!

Sounds good! I bet you convert it later to reef and with that stock list and amount of rock that could easily be done later down the road! All you would need is lights ;) the only thing I can think of that you might need is a refractometer and what are you doing for water? Might wanna put a ro-di system on that list. I reckon you could also stretch the stock list to adding a goby or blenny of sorts...

I was planning to start out with treated tap water and if I start having algae issues, imbalance issues, or decide to go reef some day switching to RO as needed.

Stock list may indeed expand a little eventually. I want to start off understocked until I figure out what I'm doing. :D

Going to add a super cheap powerhead and an extra heater for mixing my saltwater for PWCs to that equipment list.

I'm thinking of ordering the equipment tomorrow (not the LR or sand yet, of course!)

A couple of questions for clarification:

LR is all I need to put in the tank to provide ammonia for the cycle, right?

Do I do PWCs during the cycle to help keep the hitchhikers alive? I'm hoping for some good/cool ones! lol

((sorry, used to FW fish-in cycling :hide:))

Nope, best to add a raw shrimp to kick start the cycle, it will be much stronger. Don't do water changes during the cycle it will just make it longer! Ideally you want to see a spike in amm to 4ppm for a decent cycle.

Ok, good to know! I will do the shrimp with the LR. Thanks!

Edit: Ordered my Koralia circulators, a cheapy Azoo powerhead (to mix my saltwater), a hydrometer, a digital thermometer, and a test kit!!

May head to the LFS and pick up some instant ocean and sand just to have it when I'm ready.

So this is turning into a journal of sorts...

I'm super stoked I got my stuff in the mail today! I'm getting ready to set the tank up with saltwater to make sure everything is running. I would like to get my LR tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

Btw, I did get live sand, but only because I liked the look of it better than the non live. It was worth the extra $$!

Attachments

• image-1201235643.jpg
    image-1201235643.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1209799603.jpg
    image-1209799603.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2821255181.jpg
    image-2821255181.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 108
I might be wrong but are you sure that stand can hold the weight of the tank. Water at about 7pounds per gallon. All your rock, all your sand etc.

Someone with more experience can back me up if I'm wrong or right?

That stand has been holding 29 gallon ranks for years and years, lol. It is made for tanks.

Of course it has always been freshwater. If people think this isn't going to work, I guess I need to know soon.

I have full confidence it will hold water and sand as it has had the same amount of water and the same weight in gravel. It's the LR that is different. Surely heavier than the freshwater rock and decor that was in there before.

So after doing some online research (for what that's worth) it seems that back in the day all tank stands were wrought iron. This is an old stand. My dad got it in the mid 90's and it was used when he got it. I'm assuming people had FOWLR tanks "back in the day" on wrought iron stands without anything exploding? I'm gonna take a chance, I guess, and assume I'm okay.

So for the LR. After doing some more online research... I'm thinking I will go with 15lbs of Manado cured rock from Premium Aquatics. I'm starting with 15 lbs because that is what the guy from PA recommended for a 29g high to someone else on a different forum. I guess it's very porous, so you get more volume for less weight. I figure I can always order more if it seems too little.

I may order it today or Sunday for arrival on Tuesday, unless anyone has other thoughts on either the LR or the fate of my tank stand! :hide:

I let my tank run all weekend and everything is good, except I have horrible white (salt?) accumulation in areas on the inside of the glass. My specific gravity was a little on the high side at first, but I adjusted it down to 1.026. Maybe it being high at first caused the deposits.

I got my LR today and put it in the tank. It looks neat, lots of coralline algae, smelled fresh like the ocean...but no picture because you can barely see in the tank from the buildup! I don't want to use my scraper from my FW tank on this one, so I ordered a new one along with some other stuff. Hopefully it gets here soon!

I think the 15lbs is too little after all. I guess shouldn't have listened to that info from PA! I think I may just get some dry rock and let my LR seed it instead of ordering more LR.

I ended up getting 15 more lbs of the manado LR from PA. I decided it looked too cool and I wanted more chances of getting some critters. This time I got some collonista snails, a tiny feather duster, some foramina...whatsits and a couple other I don't know whats! I hope some of it survives the cycle.

Tomorrow will be 1 week of cycling, though added more LR on Saturday might throw it off. Last check of my params was Friday, and my ammonia was up to 0.5 with 0 trites and trates. My pH was 8, which is lower than my tap and lower than my FW tanks, which all run 8.2. I thought all the salt in the water would make my pH way high and I was anticipating potential problems! lol :blink:

Question though, if my tank cycles and I remove the raw shrimp..will the system hold for a few weeks without adding fish or would I need to keep throwing fish food or something in there to feed the BB an ammonia source? I'm going on vacation in July for a week, and I was thinking adding fish after I get back might be better than adding them right before i go, so depending when the thing cycles...:bb:

EDIT: just tested params again:

SG= 1.026
pH = 8
Ammonia = 4
trites = 2
trates = 20
Ca = 480
KH = 21 dKH (375.9 ppm)
Phos = 2

Pics! Still a little cloudy, but better! Constructive criticism appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3744598767.jpg
    image-3744598767.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2799316475.jpg
    image-2799316475.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 105
Thanks! I am super happy with the rock and the service from PA was great too. I would definitely recommend both!

Back
Top Bottom