Starting a 30g ! How to set up tge RIGHT way!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting a 30g what should i do step by step to set it up, reg sand or live sand? Rocks first or sand? Ps im doing a reef tank.

Are you planning on doing a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle?
And the number of fish that can happily live in it depends on what type of fish you want.
Look around the fish stores/pet stores, and decide what you like write down the names of each fish (don't buy them just yet) come back home and do research for each fish that you like and see what the needs are for each that you have chosen. (write all information down for each fish, it is very hard to remember if you pick several different ones)
During this research some fish you have chosen could be eliminated because of tank size.
After you pick the ones you would like to house put a list on here and there are many, many fish keepers on here that can advise you for the ones that can happily live together and which ones not to mix in the same tank.
Good luck to you and welcome to our fishy little world.

Hi Aquaboi I'm building a 29 gallon myself. This was my first reef but this is what I done. First I added my saltwater and let it come up to temp (around 77 to 78 degrees), then I added my rock which is a mix between dry base and live rock. Then I added my live sand. When I added my sand I turned on my filter to help clear the tank from the cloudyness of the live sand. Only took a day.
There are several different ways you can setup your tank so someone on here may give you better advice on setting it up.
As far as fish go I have heard no more then 4 or 5 small fish.

Thanks guys sounds good, fish wise, i already have a pink spotted goby, chromis, and 2 emerald crabs from my old tank waiting in a seperate tank. So i want to add 2 clowns and another chromis. Also thanks for the set up advice.

1 live rock2 sand
3 water
4 filter if u have a 30 gal get a 55/75 filter
5 fish u can get 3 type of fish Below middle and high water fish them u need
Small fish u can star with chromis clown and gobys
6 light T5 with led timer and fans
7 fans for the flow
8 corals
9 snail crabs shrimp hermi and whatever u whant
Try to put the corals and the fishes afther 1 month of full water cycle
At 2 weeks change 20% of water and from them on every week 5 gal of your 30 gal tank
I hop this help lucky in your project

That's Exactly what I said one month full cycle then add some chromis and 2 weeks later,change water.

What he should do is cycle the tank, do a water change to get the nitrates down, then add the livestock. A cycle results in huge nitrates. You need to get them down.

Back
Top Bottom