starting a nano reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikestrip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I'm thinking about starting a 10 gal nano tank and I've only had freshwater up until now. Suggestions? Kinda wanted to have seahorses eventually but not sure what species would be small enough.

dwarf seahorses would be the only ones for a 10 gallon..you could start with a small goby of some sort. The firefish are very pretty and will swim out and about if they are not frightened by other fish. Are you getting any liverock? A bigger tank would be much easier to take care of and open more options for fish

Dwarf seahorses are great IMO, Its strongly recommended to have a QT set up. Live rock is not recommended unless you panacur the tank. Hydroids can wipe out a heard of even adult dsh`s. I am going to try live commercial sand and dry rock. I know it will take a while for the rock to become live. I also had a bout with stinging hydroids.. No fun. read up on the dwarves though, they require live newly hatched baby brine shrimp daily. I did get mine to eat frozen cyclops but in small amounts, gota be careful not to foul the water. You are limited as far as tank mates go with the dwarves and especially after a panacur treatment. The new tank I am setting up will consist of dwarf seahorses and a few very small snails. nassarius and nerite virginea. Just ask questions I am sure there are people on here who know more and willing to help. One thing I like about the dwarves is the new born babies can stay in the same tank with the adults, I ordered the sanfrancisco strain of shrimp eggs to hatch, they are a little smaller for the babies and the adults eat them as well..

Back
Top Bottom