starting a new 100g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catchndolphn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im fixing to purchase a new 100g tank, and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on aquascaping.

The topic is rather broad..you need to narrow it down ALOT. Aquascaping is always a matter of personal choice. Decide what you want to put in it is the first thing, then aquascape around the needs that creates.

ok sorry, im just wondering on how i should set up the rock and how mutch rock i should use. I already have 15lbs fiji and 45lbs aquacultured. lookin at mabye getting about 40-50lbs of marshall island or tonga deepwater.

I agree with Hara. I have a FOWLR so I tend to move mine around, somtimes. I think you should shoot for 1.5-2LBs of rock per gallon. You can mix base with LR to save some cash. If you are going reef, you might have to consider a more permanent aqua-scaping scheeme. Browse some of the pics of tanks. I like to have a cave or two and a nice pile, maybe a nice cliff. It is really how you like it.

Ok, so then you will be going with live rock. I would put all the aquacultured on the bottom because it is a much more dense and heavy rock. I would put the pretty fiji and marshall island up higher where it is more visible. I like to make alot of "swim throughs" and a cave or two for bottom dwellers. My biggest suggestion is to get another person (with long arms) to do the placing of the rock while you stand back and orchestrate.. It is so so much easier to get a nice pretty look when you have someone to help.

I like building McDonald's arches. Low at the front, sloping highest at the back (top of the M). Not only does this give you two open sand beds for benthic critters, it also greatly increases the available surface area for the coral placement. High water flow at the top of the "M" for the stonies, with low flow area for the large polyp stonies and softies.

I must say that I tend to move my LR around a bit, I can never seem to get it "just right". But I do agree, I like to have lots of swim throughs and caves for the fish to hide in.

That`s a pretty good selection of LR. If you`re like the rest of us you`ll probably do it more than once before you get it the way you want. In the long run it will be your prefrence

Back
Top Bottom