Starting a new reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I'm totally new to saltwater let alone reef tanks, but I really want to learn and start one. I've had a lot of freshwater aquariums in fact have one running now, so my question is, I want to start the reef but don't really want to use live rock due to the expense. I've researched DIY Live Rock and know that it takes a long time to drop PH and grow coralline algae on it after the PH stabilizes. What if I make fake rock out of something like polygem like on tanked or this stuff called smooth-on, I know its all "fish safe" and I'll have to beef up my filtration due to the lack of the filter capabilities of these products. I just want to be able to grow corals too. Does anyone have experience with either and know if or will coral grow on these?
Thanks,
Derik

I don't have experience with that but you can buy dry rock, it's much cheaper if that's the only reason you don't wanna buy live. DIY is a cool idea tho, and there are a few on here that have done that but you gotta love DIY ;) buying dry rock will become live over time and will be less work. Just a heads up tho, if costs are an issue - this hobby is not cheap. It's addictive and very rewarding but it's not cheap :)

We had a member over a year ago do a DIY rock for his saltwater reef. After all was said and done, he saved almost no money but added to his frustrations as it made one heck of a mess. I'd suggest checking out macro/base rock from bulkreefsupply.com or other suppliers.

Just from my experience and opinion, this isn't a good hobby on a tight budget. It's a huge cash-suck, it's worth it but you'll pay for it!

Back
Top Bottom