starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a little update.. purchased a six line and gave the damsel up for adoption. i realize the 20L is too small of a tank, so while i was in my local pet store they where having a dollar per gallon sale up to 75 gallon.....sooooo i ended up getting a Marineland 75.. so now i need all the advice i can get for starting it up... sorry for the random post with no pics and poor grammar. kind of in a hurry. will update soon with pics. if anyone has any awesome links to threads about awesome sump setups and other info TIA!

It seems multiple tank syndrome has caught up with you! LOL

The 75g is an awesome size tank, you will have so much room and the rockscaping will be awesome!

Good luck!

^thanks! heres a quick pic of a few of the dwellers in the 20.
img_1903189_0_18c9b0e326ef6fec52b60aa30e742e29.jpg

a little off topic but what RODI systems do you guys suggest?TIA.

I started with this unit, it was good, cheap and easy to use. Made pure water and was portable too.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I now use this one, it goes for $180 during a group buy from that site (doing one next week if youre interested). This unit is a larger size, also easy to use and produces pure water. It has larger canisters so I mounted it outisde on my patio so I can run a garden hose to it to supply the water.

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

Using ro/di water is probably one of the best things you can do for your tank, especially if you have corals. And getting a machine to make it at home is absolutely awesome! LOL No lugging buckets or driving anywhere. lol

Good luck!

Is the GB over? If not, how do I get in on it? Looks super nice!thanks!

Group buy cutoff is tonight, so you can PM me your last name and email address and we can get you in still. :) It will start tuesday and run until next Monday. Just make sure that you register with BRS befoore the buy starts with the same email address you give me.

:)

awesome and informative build! I should've checked this out before I annoyed everyone with my 20 ?s :p

I heard all the same stuff about small tanks vs. large in both salt and freshwater, but ya know what? If you can successfully run a small tank with concentrated water chemistry occurring; you can easily run a thriving, successful BIG tank that your fish will be incredibly happy with!

Nothing wrong with facing the harder challenge first :)

I subbed your thread, Im going to go back and read through it more since I'm new to sw and learning as well... I may have questions for you! lol

btw, your scaping looks cool, IMO... with everything centered like that the fish and invertebrates have plenty of spaces to hide/explore.

janky said:
awesome and informative build! I should've checked this out before I annoyed everyone with my 20 ?s :p

I heard all the same stuff about small tanks vs. large in both salt and freshwater, but ya know what? If you can successfully run a small tank with concentrated water chemistry occurring; you can easily run a thriving, successful BIG tank that your fish will be incredibly happy with!

Nothing wrong with facing the harder challenge first :)

I subbed your thread, Im going to go back and read through it more since I'm new to sw and learning as well... I may have questions for you! lol

btw, your scaping looks cool, IMO... with everything centered like that the fish and invertebrates have plenty of spaces to hide/explore.

Janky, I'm a firm believer in doing what fits the budget. A large tank is optimal, but not always affordable. I always buy the biggest I can afford. Good luck.

Janky, I'm a firm believer in doing what fits the budget. A large tank is optimal, but not always affordable. I always buy the biggest I can afford. Good luck.

Definitely agree there!
If not for space limitations I'd have like 5 giant tanks and a handful of small nanos :D

Having some trouble with th gb from brs. It still says retail beside my login name.I received a confirmation email saying that I was added... am I missing something? TIA.

they got back to me,got it all fixed!thank you!! ordered the 5 stage plus for me and 4 stage for a friend. stoked to finally have good water! now the runoff water, what can you do with it? or is it not recommended to use for watering plants or whatever?either way, thanks carey! also started building my stand for the 75. going to use a 55 for sump... is that overkill?TIA guys!

here is a quick pic of my stand. have 3/8 plywood screwed on now just need to nail bead board panel and build the canopy doors and bottom drawer.nothing special. im putting the sump on an exposed shelf because i actually like to see the workings of a tank. i think its possible to make it look good.. hopefully anyways. lmk if there's any major downsides to using this big of a sump (55). thinking about putting a decent refuge in their too.. all ideas for now.. has any body had a stacked system like this before? does it suck? also if anyone is subscribed to any good sump build threads i would be grateful if you could pass them along,TIA!!

img_1919966_0_c3a7613c4b1e05300812204138904b46.jpg
forgot pic...:facepalm:
BTW after this pic was taken, i ended up turning that middle 2X up instead of flat... lmk if someone thinks that that isint enough support!thanks!

can anyone help ID this algae? i heard that tap water can cause algae outbreaks? glad i ordered the rodi. and second pic is my coral banded guy molted. his skin is all over the FD, should i take it out or let the CUC take care of it.. thanks guys for all the help!
img_1920227_0_9025cc71dd2240ff70b689155df9c60f.jpg

img_1920227_1_98d93ab349bd393a6204d2c83719e557.jpg

yep, cyano it is. I've had it in almost all of my tanks at one point or another. Me personally, I used red slime remover to be rid of it. Put it in at night and gone by the next morning. :) My corals and fish did not have any adverse reactions to it and it you follow the instructions it works really well.

You can also vacuum it out the best you can, up your water change schedule and reduce nutrients going in and that will eventually work as well. Good solution if you don't want to use chemicals.

As far as ro/di waste water, i have mine going to my flower bed out back, perfectly fine for that. You could even run it to your washing machine if you wanted. lol

carey said:
yep, cyano it is. I've had it in almost all of my tanks at one point or another. Me personally, I used red slime remover to be rid of it. Put it in at night and gone by the next morning. :) My corals and fish did not have any adverse reactions to it and it you follow the instructions it works really well.

You can also vacuum it out the best you can, up your water change schedule and reduce nutrients going in and that will eventually work as well. Good solution if you don't want to use chemicals.

As far as ro/di waste water, i have mine going to my flower bed out back, perfectly fine for that. You could even run it to your washing machine if you wanted. lol

Yeah, the common misconception is that RO "waste" is poor quality water. It is actually better than some municipal sources. Scary as that is.

img_1921074_0_17b1979603dffefc9ff583785ff37d86.jpg

most recent pic.. i was at the LFS and they had a rock that they sold as LR but it has something on it, here is a pic. is this a coral? yea i bought it without reading up about it but for 10 bucks my curiosity got the best of me...is this considered coral or just some cool growth on rock.thanks!
img_1921074_1_df7b68f2eaffd15c1d11a790e34b2e85.jpg

Back
Top Bottom