Starting a saltwater 30gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaMan01

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey :)
I have two freshwater tanks and I'm thinking about trying my hand at a saltwater 30 gallon. I'd like to grow my own coral and such to start the thing off, then slowly one by one add in some fish. I would like to know if I can order the coral online safely, how to raise them, and them eventually I'll ask for some fish choosing help once I have the tank cycled and ready to go. Any advice you can post below will help :)

Hi! Welcome to the salty side!

What lights are you planning first of all. Also are you going to use all live rock or both?

Is there special lights I'll need? The tank as of now has white LED lights, but I have some spare blacklights around as well.
And I was planning on adding gravel at the bottom, then maybe a lava rock or two here and there for added decoration

For corals yes. And you would need live sand and rock. It will have the bacteria in it. The gravel wouldn't really work I don't think.

Ah ok, I'll start looking for that, what lights would be reccomended? I have those strip LED hoodlights so preferably something comparable

That's pretty cool, definitely want to do something like that

I also have a Tetra Whisper filter and a submersible heater but that's about it atm

Prob a par38 bulb. I'm not sure witch. We will have to wait for someone else to chime in. How many gallons is the tetra whisper filter for?

I'm looking for it to be a very colorful tank as well if possible

Is it a standard 29 gal? Your best bet for lighting is probably going to be a couple of the Tao panels off eBay or amazon. Or give us your budget for lights ( most expensive part of start up usually) and we can give you some options

I have about.. $200 I'm willing to spend right now. I'll have more in a few months or so when I want to add fish and such.

You could get 2 of the Tao panels for a little over that $200, and they will allow you to keep any photosynthetic animal you would like

Honestly $200 is cheap for led systems that are as strong as these. Some similar systems with a few more bells and whistles can be $1000

But then he still needs everything else too. Would one Tao panel be ok?

One Tao will cover 24"x24" so you could use one, but it will leave you with a lot of darker areas off to the sides where you will most likely not be able to grow any corals

Back
Top Bottom