Starting A Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay we are about to dive into saltwater. We have a 10 gallon tank and we are wondering a few things before we start:
First: is it even worth starting one in ten gallons?
Second: aside from power filter, heater, substrate (prefered substrate?) . . . what else do we need.
Third: best way to fishless cycle saltwater.

Everyone's help will be appreciated.

Thank!! Happy fishing . . . :lol:

First: Nope, you're going to spend a lot of money on a little tank that will be very hard to keep stable. Smaller means more work and more limitations in my experience.

Second: Lighting, Live Rock or other structure if you're going FO.

Third: With Live Rock.

What do you want to keep?

Keep in mind that it is much harder to keep the water parameters stable in a small tank. Nano tanks are usually not adviseable for a person new to the saltwater experience.

That being said, now you need to ask yourself a few questions such as, what do you plan on keeping in the tank. That will help to determine which things to get for your tank. Sand or crushed coral is the usual substrate choice. With as small as the tank is, I would go with something like a tetratec HOB that has the heater inside the filtration.

Cycling is accomplished by tossing a raw cocktail into the water and letting nature take its course. (usually a month or so in time)

These are my suggestions, your mileage may vary ;)

Back
Top Bottom