Starting A Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a nice tank. And i wasn't thinking canister filter. I was think a HOB filter and a skimmer. But sounds like I would be better off with a sump tank and skimmer????

Yes I would go for the sump and skimmer. Looking hind sight I wish I had started that way to begin with. Make sure you get a good quality skimmer reef octopus is a great one. Found out the hard way on that too. Cheap skimmer dont do what it should.

Yes I would go for the sump and skimmer. Looking hind sight I wish I had started that way to begin with. Make sure you get a good quality skimmer reef octopus is a great one. Found out the hard way on that too. Cheap skimmer dont do what it should.

Okay thanks. Is there anywhere you can buy a complete setup??? Tank, sump tank, hood and lights, and skimmer?????

Sorry 1 lb to 1 and a half pounds of live rock

I have read at a bare minimum 1 lb or rock per gallon
1.5 lbs per gallon is better .
The Berlin method states 2 lbs of rock and a good skimmer is all you need for filtration .
I have 150 lbs in my 75
I have a coralife super skimmer 125 ( not even close to the best on the market )
I have a canister I used with only floss to polish the water .
I recently added Purigen to the filter to help keep nitrates between 0 ppm and 10 ppm

I have read at a bare minimum 1 lb or rock per gallon 1.5 lbs per gallon is better . The Berlin method states 2 lbs of rock and a good skimmer is all you need for filtration . I have 150 lbs in my 75 I have a coralife super skimmer 125 ( not even close to the best on the market ) I have a canister I used with only floss to polish the water . I recently added Purigen to the filter to help keep nitrates between 0 ppm and 10 ppm

So you don't run a sump tank??? Just the love rock and the skimmer and a filter????

Great to know. Would a HOB filter work?[/
Depends on how big the tank is and how big the pump is ,
Every tank is different .
Luckily I don't have that much problems with nitrates ,
And having 2lbs rock for every helps for filtration .

When you say 2 lbs of rock you are talking about crushed live rock or what???

Use Crushed coral sand for the bottom of the tank, I prefer 1mm grain and minimal amount is about 2" thick, 3"-4" preferred. then stack up the live rock for biofilter/ for fish to hide in.

Also I've worked with canister filters, I much prefer a sump due to it's easier to add stuff to the filtration as you go on. eg: biopellet reactor, uv sterilizer, chiller etc.

Plus with a sump you can design it as you want and hide all the heaters, skimmer etc under the cabinet rather it being shown in a tank and they're much easier to maintain and work rather than pulling apart a canister filter when you need to do maintenance.

Also with a sump, if your going down that road, would be recommending a refugium setup, best biological filter money can buy i believe.

Like big rock structures/pieces. Or like crushed up live rock use on the bottom of the tank??

Various size pieces to make a large structure with
Caves and lots of hiding places for everything to hide .
I'm sure I have a picture posted on here

Use Crushed coral sand for the bottom of the tank, I prefer 1mm grain and minimal amount is about 2" thick, 3"-4" preferred. then stack up the live rock for biofilter/ for fish to hide in. Also I've worked with canister filters, I much prefer a sump due to it's easier to add stuff to the filtration as you go on. eg: biopellet reactor, uv sterilizer, chiller etc. Plus with a sump you can design it as you want and hide all the heaters, skimmer etc under the cabinet rather it being shown in a tank and they're much easier to maintain and work rather than pulling apart a canister filter when you need to do maintenance. Also with a sump, if your going down that road, would be recommending a refugium setup, best biological filter money can buy i believe.

Thanks very helpful. More info is welcome.
Sorry for all the dumb questions but want to cover all my basics before i even try to get start. Where i live has very hard water with iron and other stuff. I mean you can drink it and all but we run ours thru a britta filter. Is this okay to use in a sw tank???? Or what are my options????
My freshwater tank has it in it and seems to be ok.

Various size pieces to make a large structure with Caves and lots of hiding places for everything to hide . I'm sure I have a picture posted on here

Thanks great to know. Sorry for the dumb questions but want to learn everything before i start

It's all good.... at the end of the day, if you believe your water is really quite pure and cant really see any problems with the britta filter then just use it for SW with chemical to remove chlorine etc like what your probably doing at the moment with your FW or else if your looking to add corals in the tank or don't really trust your water definitely do ro filter.

Corals can be quite pedantic with water quality, and if you really want to avoid all the headaches in the future. just buy a $150 RO/DI filter.

It's all good.... at the end of the day, if you believe your water is really quite pure and cant really see any problems with the britta filter then just use it for SW with chemical to remove chlorine etc like what your probably doing at the moment with your FW or else if your looking to add corals in the tank or don't really trust your water definitely do ro filter. Corals can be quite pedantic with water quality, and if you really want to avoid all the headaches in the future. just buy a $150 RO/DI filter.

I don't use any chemicals on my FW tank. But i have a HOB and Canister filter on it.

What is RO/DI filter???

RODI is a water filtering system ,
It takes all the pollutants out if the water ,

image-3950136052.jpg

This is a picture of mine .

ill be the first to admit that constantly seeing "what do i need for a sw tank?" threads used to be annoying, however im glad to see that people are being drawn to our hobby and are willing to learn. ill take that over blindly jumping in anyday. that being said, welcome aboard!! i wish you nothing but the best of luck in your sw ventures (just remember it WILL become an obsession at some point or another)

ill be the first to admit that constantly seeing "what do i need for a sw tank?" threads used to be annoying, however im glad to see that people are being drawn to our hobby and are willing to learn. ill take that over blindly jumping in anyday. that being said, welcome aboard!! i wish you nothing but the best of luck in your sw ventures (just remember it WILL become an obsession at some point or another)

Thanks. Looking forward to getting started.

Back
Top Bottom