Starting A Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been reading a lot and starting to second guess myself on start a sw tank. Seems like a lot of work. Not that i'm not up for doing the work but seems pretty tough and don't want to put a lot of money into it and fail.

If it was truly that difficult i dont think there would be so many of us obsessed with it. Yes it is hard, yes its time-consuming, yes its expensive. But what a sw tank gives you in return is worth 100x what you put into it

Been reading a lot and starting to second guess myself on start a sw tank. Seems like a lot of work. Not that i'm not up for doing the work but seems pretty tough and don't want to put a lot of money into it and fail.

Depending on what your planning on setting up .
It's not that expensive after you get everything set up .
You will go through a fair bit of salt from the start with constant water changes but once you get your parameters to where you want them it runs it self .
And water changes are only 10-20 % weekly
I bought a 35 lb bucket of salt on July 3 for $65 and just did my last water change last weekend with it .
$65 for 6 months isn't expensive at all , but keep in mind it's a obsession and there is always something you will want, you will always want more , bigger and better .

Depending on what your planning on setting up . It's not that expensive after you get everything set up . You will go through a fair bit of salt from the start with constant water changes but once you get your parameters to where you want them it runs it self . And water changes are only 10-20 % weekly I bought a 35 lb bucket of salt on July 3 for $65 and just did my last water change last weekend with it . $65 for 6 months isn't expensive at all , but keep in mind it's a obsession and there is always something you will want, you will always want more , bigger and better .

Thanks. So basically once I get by the initial cost it isn't that bad unless I want to keep adding and improving it?

Fish food, salt mix, rodi filter cartridges, light bulbs.- these are bought prob every 4-6 months, maybe a bit longer.
Only thing im really taking a hit for on a semi-daily basis is cost of water. (for every gallon of rodi my unit produces it consumes 3g)

Other than that the only expense you see right in front of you is fish/invert costs

Thanks!!!

I'm pretty nervous about setting it up and getting the water levels right. How tough is this???

Don't be nervous ,
Or let all of this seam to be a lot .
The best advice you will ever hear is take your time .
Let it come together ,
Nothing good happens over night , patients and a lot of research .
I will suggest research what you want to stock first .
Start with
1) tank size
What tank size is suitable for you , available space and finances .
2) research different species that are compatible with the size of tank and other tank mates .
3) the system .
What you will need lights for what you plan on stocking .
Keep in mind it is a obsession and you will want to upgrade eventually .
4) filtration

Things to price
- lights
- skimmer
- pump/ filter
Either a canister suitable for the volume or a sump
Power heads
Heater
Salt mix . There are different grades of salt .
Reef mix mad more in it and is normally more expensive .
And the most important your wife's permission lol
Happy wife means happy life

Don't be nervous , Or let all of this seam to be a lot . The best advice you will ever hear is take your time . Let it come together , Nothing good happens over night , patients and a lot of research . I will suggest research what you want to stock first . Start with 1) tank size What tank size is suitable for you , available space and finances . 2) research different species that are compatible with the size of tank and other tank mates . 3) the system . What you will need lights for what you plan on stocking . Keep in mind it is a obsession and you will want to upgrade eventually . 4) filtration Things to price - lights - skimmer - pump/ filter Either a canister suitable for the volume or a sump Power heads Heater Salt mix . There are different grades of salt . Reef mix mad more in it and is normally more expensive . And the most important your wife's permission lol Happy wife means happy life

Thanks. And right on with the happy wife part.

I know i would want a pair of clownfish and after that i'm open for stocking

Just as an offer of some confidence, I went from a 20g fw guppy tank to a 125g saltwater tank... You can do it. Also other than the expense of bigger equipment. (And more salt mix for water changes) bigger tanks really aren't that expensive. I think I MAY spend $50/month on my 125 to keep it going. That's between salt use, todo cartridges over 6-9 months, food, and electricity. It's fairly cheap once up and running. It's the constant buying of fancy new fish and better equipment that's expensive

Just as an offer of some confidence, I went from a 20g fw guppy tank to a 125g saltwater tank... You can do it. Also other than the expense of bigger equipment. (And more salt mix for water changes) bigger tanks really aren't that expensive. I think I MAY spend $50/month on my 125 to keep it going. That's between salt use, todo cartridges over 6-9 months, food, and electricity. It's fairly cheap once up and running. It's the constant buying of fancy new fish and better equipment that's expensive

That is great to know. I was a little concerned with the cost. I found a 120 gallon with everything i'll need to start (heater, sump tank, filter, lights) for $400 on craigslist. But not sure if i want to have that big of a tank. A LFS put a start up kit together which would be a 55 gallon with everything I need for $350. Not sure what to do.

Not really wanting to use a sump tank. If I ran a canister filter and a HOB filter would that be okay????

Besides there only being a $50 difference, the 125 is clearly a better option. If it's a 6 footer like mine, it'll be 18" deep (front to back). A 55 is only 12". That's a pretty shallow tank. I even consider mine pretty shallow from front to back. I love my tank because once you get your processes down and have a set schedule for everything, it's pretty freakin stable in terms of water chemistry

I would def choose the 120. Running a sump is honestly the best type of filtration for either of those size tanks - i regret not setting up my 55 this way. There is always maintenance of course in fish keeping but I honestly do think that hobs and canisters are more trouble than they are worth. If you go the 55g you could run it with just a skimmer and plenty of live rock and flow - that's how I chose to run my 55g reef no problems...

Ok. Do I need to worry about the weight of the 120?????

And do you use tab water and just add salt or do you buy water????

I have never used a sump tank?? How do they work?

How so? You have a timber floor? I have no idea what a 120 would weigh, sorry! I don't recommend using tap water and would put a ro-di unit on your shopping list to make your own water. Your LFS probably sells natural salt water and ro-di water too. Running a sump gives you the benefit of increased water volume, it also is a place to keep your skimmer and heaters out of the display. Most people use baffles to section the sump into a refugium also. Have a quick google at some DIY sumps on you tube - that will give you a better understanding of how it all works ;)

That is great to know. I was a little concerned with the cost. I found a 120 gallon with everything i'll need to start (heater, sump tank, filter, lights) for $400 on craigslist. But not sure if i want to have that big of a tank. A LFS put a start up kit together which would be a 55 gallon with everything I need for $350. Not sure what to do. Not really wanting to use a sump tank. If I ran a canister filter and a HOB filter would that be okay????

That is a easy problem .
The 120 gal !
The bigger the tank it's easier to maintain parameters like salinity ,
Less evaporation and less swings .
If it comes with everything needed you can't go wrong .

You are prob looking at 1200-1400 lbs once setup. Make sure you check which way your floor bracing goes and run them perpendicular to them (across them) this will spread the weight across several beams. I can help you with the DIY sump setup. Just need a donor tank (I used a 55g for mine ironically enough), a few glass or acrylic baffles and a tube of silicone.

If I was to buy real sea water to use. Where would be the best place to get it from?? I just think it will be worth using that to set up my tank. And then just buy some every month to do a water change.

Your LFS should sell jugs of it. BUT if you plan on keeping your tank any extended length of time, buying an rodi unit and making your own saltwater is def cheaper

Back
Top Bottom