Starting A Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been thinking about starting a salt water tank. I currently have a 60 gallon fresh water tank. I love my freshwater tank but really want to get a salt water tank also. I want to get at the info I need before I start the tank. I want to do it right so not going to start a tank until i feel comfortable with starting one.

I have been reading about starting a salt water tank but I know i need to get a LOT more info before I start.

So what all do i need to start?? Equipment and so forth?????

What steps do I need to take when starting????
And anything else I need to know??!!??!!!!!

We have really hard water where I live. Not sure if this matters. But wanted to inform everyone.

Thanks in advance.

This site has a lot good articles on what you need to consider when starting a saltwater aquarium.I would suggest deciding on the type of tank you would like to have that will help to determine tank size,fish and equipment needed.There is Fish only,FOWLR(fish only with live rock) or reef.There is also peaceful or predatory.Hope this helps!Welcome aboard!Good luck.

Is there a minimum size for a good salt water tank???

You can do any size you want. Generally larger the tank the easier to maintain and stock. For example, almost all tangs require a 6 foot tank. I'd say a 40 breeder is a good beginner size tank but a bigger one will be better

You can do any size you want. Generally larger the tank the easier to maintain and stock. For example, almost all tangs require a 6 foot tank. I'd say a 40 breeder is a good beginner size tank but a bigger one will be better

ok i was thinking 40 gallon at the smallest.
And do I have have a sump tank???

It's always recommended to go as big as you can afford. You don't need a sump, you could use a HOB filter.

I think it will be 40-55 gallon. Would i need a sump for that or would a HOB or canister filter work okay for that?? Is running a HOB or canister filter on a saltwater tank pretty similar to running one on a freshwater tank??? I have a HOB Bio-wheel and a canister filters on my 60 FW tank.

I would like to have live rock and maybe once I have it setup and going strong maybe add coral down the road. But not for sure about the coral. But would like live rock thats for sure.

Not 100% on the type of fish either. What are some of the easier fish to get ? I know I will want to get a couple Clown fish.

Now much of a difference is to have just live rock or live rock and coral????? Or just having fish?? And what are you suggestions?? Can you start with just fish only, then add live rock, then add coral?!!!!!

I would 100% add live rock it will make maintaining the tank much easier. You wanna shoot for 1-1 and a half lbs per gallon of live rock. Then down the line you can get good lighting and add corals.

I wouldn't use a canister or hob, just get a good skimmer instead and a couple of power heads for flow. Your live rock will be your best filter :) Best to add all your rock in the beginning - it can be a pain adding it to an established tank unless it's fully cured live rock.

I would 100% add live rock it will make maintaining the tank much easier. You wanna shoot for 1-1 and a half lbs per gallon of live rock. Then down the line you can get good lighting and add corals.

What do you mean 1-1??? And that is what i'm thinking. Start with live rock then add coral if I want!!!!

I wouldn't use a canister or hob, just get a good skimmer instead and a couple of power heads for flow. Your live rock will be your best filter :) Best to add all your rock in the beginning - it can be a pain adding it to an established tank unless it's fully cured live rock.

What is a skimmer?? And thats probably what i will do. Start with live rock and see how it goes!!!!

I believe a protein skimmer is much more beneficial than a hob or a canister for a salt tank. I have heard people have success with canisters but they need regular cleaning once if not twice a week as thy can harbour nitrates. Do have a read of the article on here about types of filtration and set ups, loads of good info...

I believe a protein skimmer is much more beneficial than a hob or a canister for a salt tank. I have heard people have success with canisters but they need regular cleaning once if not twice a week as thy can harbour nitrates. Do have a read of the article on here about types of filtration and set ups, loads of good info...

Thanks. I'm trying to read everything I can before going and buying anything.

Keep the info coming!!!!!

I personaly from experiance would recommend a sump set up. I started with HOBs they work not gonna say they dont I prefer a sump set up because the HOB filters will cause spatter and that spatter causes salt creep on the tank. Sumps dont do that. Also with the sump system it elimonates alot of the stuff hanging in the tank its self. It provides filtration and a place for protein skimmer( a must for salt water) the sump can be set up in the cabinet under your tank so that everything is hidden. You have to filter along with the skimmer so that puts everything in one spot and not on the back of your tank.
Fish only requires more work because the live rock isnt there to help with biofiltration. Fish with live rock is easier to maintain filtration wise.
When you get into corals you should research lighting because they have special requirements that standard bulbs cant do. Lights for corals are expensive so be prepaired for that.
Initial set up for salt water is much more expensive than fresh water maintenance is also more expensive.
I use my tap water which has a natural high Ph. But you should test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates. If they are present I would recommend an RODI unit to do your water or find a supplier you can purchase water from for water changes as salt water in my opinion is more sensitive to the phosphates expecialy.
Research the fish you like see what their maximum requirements are and use that to guide tank size and needs.
Also consider your wallet size lol because it can get pricey quick.

I personaly from experiance would recommend a sump set up. I started with HOBs they work not gonna say they dont I prefer a sump set up because the HOB filters will cause spatter and that spatter causes salt creep on the tank. Sumps dont do that. Also with the sump system it elimonates alot of the stuff hanging in the tank its self. It provides filtration and a place for protein skimmer( a must for salt water) the sump can be set up in the cabinet under your tank so that everything is hidden. You have to filter along with the skimmer so that puts everything in one spot and not on the back of your tank. Fish only requires more work because the live rock isnt there to help with biofiltration. Fish with live rock is easier to maintain filtration wise. When you get into corals you should research lighting because they have special requirements that standard bulbs cant do. Lights for corals are expensive so be prepaired for that. Initial set up for salt water is much more expensive than fresh water maintenance is also more expensive. I use my tap water which has a natural high Ph. But you should test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates. If they are present I would recommend an RODI unit to do your water or find a supplier you can purchase water from for water changes as salt water in my opinion is more sensitive to the phosphates expecialy. Research the fish you like see what their maximum requirements are and use that to guide tank size and needs. Also consider your wallet size lol because it can get pricey quick.

Thanks. If I would do a canister filter and a skimmer, would that work ??? Or is it just best to do a sump tank?? Need to learn more about sump tank if thats the best route to take. And probably a dumb question. But live rock is for substrate?? Along with gravel???? Or is it the actual rock pieces in the tank???

Thanks. If I would do a canister filter and a skimmer, would that work ??? Or is it just best to do a sump tank?? Need to learn more about sump tank if thats the best route to take. And probably a dumb question. But live rock is for substrate?? Along with gravel???? Or is it the actual rock pieces in the tank???

ForumRunner_20131201_100224.jpg

I personaly have never used canisters but have read in many places they become a nitrate head ache in salt water.
Substrate should be live sand with actual rock chunks bigger pieces of rock on top of the sand.
Heres a pic of some of my live rock

I personaly have never used canisters but have read in many places they become a nitrate head ache in salt water. Substrate should be live sand with actual rock chunks bigger pieces of rock on top of the sand. Heres a pic of some of my live rock

Thats a nice tank. And i wasn't thinking canister filter. I was think a HOB filter and a skimmer. But sounds like I would be better off with a sump tank and skimmer????

Back
Top Bottom