Starting a Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kab2409

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with glass rocks on the bottom, an Aqueon 20 HOB filter, and a 50 Watt heater. It has the original LED light and Hood. Also have fake plastic plants in it but no fish. Been thinking about what to do with it. What do I need for a saltwater tank?? How do I set one up??

Hi, I'be currently have been running a 10g saltwater for a year an a half now so I should be able to help you out pretty well.

1st. Do you want a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or a reef

I recommend getting base dry rock an letting it cycle threw with the tank. Also I really recommend getting that rock period cause it will become a main source of filtration.

Next you may want to switch out the gravel to sand or bare bottom. That way any debris that get stuck an such would be a lot less. An the key to keeping a healthy saltwater is to keep nutrients in the water down.

Own the issue of water, unless your in a place where you can go buy saltwater weekly for water changes, I recommend getting a ro/di filter. It's helpful to have as it automatically removes all nutrients from the water, so no phosphates or anything. Which means less algae

Next, I use a aquaclear filter on mine as its easier to rinse the media out with ro water, NEVER tap. I'm running the 50 model on my 10g reef tank an the 20g model on my Q tank

K next a reliable heater is important as well as weekly maintenance (15%-20% water changes, pulling stuff out to clean, dosing ect.)
Also a good salt mix, I ise instant ocean reef crystals as I have a reef but Regular instant ocean works too

The key is to research research research. Read anything an everything about nanos. Be extra careful with stocking, have a good liquid test kit

With a tank that size it's ideal for like shrimps and a few soft corals you would have no need to dose on a system that size as water changes would be ample and soft corals would not consume like LPS amd SPS.

You would struggle with other corals due to stability so I would stick with soft corals.

I would add coral sand or equivalent to help keep PH up and place 3/4 kilo of either live rock or dry rock and cycle it.

Fish wise a goby and a pistol shrimp combo would be good in my opinion but make sure the goby is eating well on frozen ect before buying should you decide to go that route.

Hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom