Starting a Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadicalReef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I'm VERY excited to get started! :D I'm considering setting up a saltwater tank soon, after the holidays so probabley late Jan or in Feb. A store near my house has great deals on aquariums, so I'll probably end up buying from there. I'm looking to set one up in the 125-210 gallon range (probably closer to the 125 gal. range, lol!) Is this a good size to start with? What brand of aquarium do you like best and why? I've been looking at all-glass the most, and I really like them. Also, are the built in filter systems that all-glass offers good? Before I get carried away with questions, what are some good sites on saltwater fish and setting up saltwater aquariums? and good books or magazine? Thanks everyone, and I look forward to reading some responses! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :D

RadicalReef

I'm looking to set one up in the 125-210 gallon range (probably closer to the 125 gal. range, lol!) Is this a good size to start with?
that is a great size to start of with!
A store near my house
:lol: :lol: I have good feeling you'll be spendng alot of time there in the next couple months! Get to know the fish people there, ask alot questions here.

welcome to AA! youve found the right site!

All Glass Aquariums (AGA) are great tanks. Get one with the MegaFlow overflow and you'll be well on your way to setting up a great tank.

I've always used Oceanic (AGA's "premium" brand) tanks but it's just personal preferece.

And start saving your money! :D It all add's up very quickly. Live rock, sand, skimmers, lighting... the list goes on and on. And hang out on these forums. Read topics and ask questions.

My final suggestion... after you purchase the tank locally, starting looking online for dry goods as they will many times be much less expensie than your LFS.

Fisrt off...WELCOME TO AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Use the time between now and when you start to do as much research as possible. Get a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. A 125 is a great tank to start with. When you say AGA's "built in" filter system, do you mean that the tank is "reef ready"? Basically, this means there are two holes drilled in the bottom of the tank and an internal overflow in the tank. This is desinged to be hooked up to a large wet/dry filter, a sump or a refugeum. It is a great wayto go. As far as aquarium sites go, you found the best and most friendly one on the net. Keep stopping by with your questions. Happy Holidays to you as well :x-mas: Lando

Welcome to AA!!!

Do everything Lando says. LOL.

If you are going to go with a big tank, be sure it is "reef ready" Pre-drilled tanks are a MUST for large aquariums.

Also a word of caution: It ain't cheap. The cost of the tank and stand will end up being less than 1/4th of the total cost to get your system going right. also. The bigger the tank, the more expensive the lighting. The only reason I started with a 37 gallon as opposed to the 55 gallon was because the 37 gallon was only 24" wide and the 55 was 48" wide. This means I am cutting my lighting costs in half. (saving me several hundred dollars.) If you can swing it, a 125 gallon is the PERFECT size to start with.

So do alot of research. It will save you money! pick up "the Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. I have it and its a wonderful book. And stop by often to ask as many questions as you can! This is a great place to be!
:invasion:

Back
Top Bottom