Starting a sw aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to make a sw aquarium out of my 30 gallon. I've done some reasearch, I'm not going to do a sump. Since it'll be fish and live rock I'm just going to use the lighting I have now. Could I use the filter from the fw (dual filter, biowheel rated for 60-80g). So basically my question is, do I just need to get a skimmer and a powerhead now?

Also, do I need live sand if I'm going to be using live rock? Could I set it up as fw (put the sand in, start the filters) an just let it run until I decide what to do (adding salt, live rock, and the powerhead and skimmer later).

You don't need live sand it will become "live" as your bb builds up. I would not add the water and sand first then salt later though. You should make up your salt water and let it mix for 24 hours or so before adding it to your tank. It will be easier to get your salinity where you want it outside of the tank where you can easily add more water should your salinity be to high. I use big plastic blue storage crates (think there brutes but don't remember) they were like 10 bucks at walmart I believe

So just using the play sand or pool filter sand would be okay? That's what I'm using in my fw tank. Is cycling the salt water the same as fresh water? Can I have live rock when the tank isn't cycled yet?

As to the first post yes you can use that filter I would not run the bio pellets though that's more for fw. Run the filter without any media for your cycle and you will probably want to pick up 2 power heads one for the tank and a second cheap one for mixing wc water. A skimmer isn't necessary but they are nice to have. There are many good hob skimmers out there if you want less stuff in the display

I wouldn't use play sand I believe that will lead to bad algae problems. Not sure about pool filter sand but reef sand is like $25 for a 30 lbs bag so i would go that route if it were my tank. Yes you can add LR it will usually speed up your cycle a little bit

So would 1 pound per gallon be good for reef sand? (I know. Lots of questions, but I want to be fully prepared before starting this adventure!)

Really it depends on how want it to look. If you like the shallow look 1lbs / gal should be fine. I personally like the look that about 1.5lbs per gal gives me ( about 2 in deep average)

I used reef sand and havent had any probs. have u considered livestock yet?
Remember , to cycle, use a peice of shrimp that u get at the supermarket seafood counter. Dont use a live fish.

I haven't considered any fish yet. I don't know very many sw fish, maybe some suggestions? I'd want something pretty easy to care for, and colourful. Ball park how many fish could I have?

Im doing the same thing as you right now just starting my first sw(30 gallon hob filter ..... ect) I think im just going to go with a pair of clowns small tanks your kinda limited to the fish you can put in your tank..... myself I just go to my local sw fish store and look at the fish and ask. And I also have a question how long should the shrimp stay in the tank?????

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When the nitrate spikes, that means the cycle is over. Then i would take it out. Whatever you do, talk to us and the fish store. As sad as it is, most lfs will sell u a fish that doesnt belong in a 30 gallon, just to get a sale. We, arent trying to sell u stuff, we want u to be sucessfull. What type of clownfish are you looking at? Other fish options are kauderns cardinals, firefish and royal gramma. Any other questions, just ask?

Im looking at ocellaris clownfish and I really wish I would of knowen about the sock for the shimp lol mines been in for 5 days now should I think qbout taking it out now?

Test your water, and tell us the results. We can tell u where u r in the cycle. Usually, the cycle takes abt a month.

My ammonia is still like 3 or a 4 and ph is 8ish

Ok. You are stlii in the beginning phase, so keep the shrimp i for a while

Yah thats what I though have you ever used the bio pronto marine? ???

Nope. Btw, i have a 100 gallon that had to be cycled 2wice, because i had to move. So if u have any qs on cycling let me know!

Back
Top Bottom