Starting a SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halibutsmack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
just wondering could i have a 29 gallon salt water tank and put maybe like 2-3 clownfish in it or some other type (if i could do a 29 what type of fish) thanks

Clowns or Chromis would be good. You would be limited on the amount of fish you could keep, but it would make for a great school of Chromis (3-5). These are very peaceful fish, and fun to watch. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
A 29gal is a pretty good starter size. But you will need to keep stocking light. Three clowns in a 29 might be asking for trouble. They are aggressive towards one another unless they are a mated pair. You could sure do a pair however. Other options include one of the dwarf angels (coral beauty or flame are nice), royal gramma, firefish, gobies...the list goes on.

if i was to put a dwarf angel in what else could i put in with it, could i put a hawk fish or jawfish (i think thats what they are, the ones that dig into the ground and make little holes that they live in)

nvm i think ill put 2 tomato clowns, would this work and if it would what inverts would i need beside a bubble tip anenome, also how much would it cost to convert my fresh 29 gal to a sw 29 (parts needed and LR ect.)

You cannot add an anemone until the tank is stable...which typically takes 9-12 months.

Live rock runs from $3-$7 a pound (going from various prices I've seen posted and come across myself), and you'll want 1-2lbs of LR per gallon (so at least 30, up to 60 lbs. 45-50lbs will probably look good)
You'll need an araganite sand substrate, probably 40lbs minimum.

The live rock is your filter, so instead of a mechanical filter, you'll just use a couple power heads for water circulation. YOu need at least 10 x per hour, or 300gph for your tank, of circulation. I highly recommend Maxi-jet power heads.

Sicne you mention an anemone, I assume you want a full reef, not just FOWLR...that's going to mean a good skimmer (CPR bak-pak 2R or an Aqua C Remora), and stronger lighting (at least 3 watts per gallon...i'd look at 2x55 or 2x65 watt power compact lighting).

You're probably looking at $400 for live rock ($150), sand ($40), power heads ($30), skimmer ($100+) and lighting ($100+).

I didn't include optional stuff like a sump or refugium.

just wondering, since i live in florida part of the time could i take sand from the beach (i love the of pensacola sand((its said to be the whitest sand anywhere))) but anyway could i take sand from the beach and if i did what would i have to do or are there any areas i should get it from, thanks

I have two clowns in my 125 and the fight all the times. Just don`t know if a good idea in a 29

Reggie - As far as the beach sand is concerned, I would go way out off shore to get it. Sand on the shoreline can be contaminated with toxins, and unwanted bacteria. If you can, I would get a boat, and go way out where the sand is undisturbed.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom