Starting a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleFishiez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been thinking about converting my 20 gallon freshwater into a saltwater tank and was wondering if it would be possible to do it with my current equipment and, if not what would I need to get in order to make it work. My setup is:

20 gallon marine land bio wheel LED aquarium kit
Penguin 150 filter
The lights that came with the marine land tank
And the heater that came with the tank

Plus the substrate and the plants that are currently in it (which I figure I would remove in order to convert)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the skimmer. Loose the bio wheel tho (the rest of the filter can be used).
Lights will be OK until you decide to add corals, then EVERY marine land LED unit is NOT suitable for corals (despite their names).
And change out the substrate (as you kinda indicated) as the blue rocks are not suitable.

+1 on the skimmer. Loose the bio wheel tho (the rest of the filter can be used).
Lights will be OK until you decide to add corals, then EVERY marine land LED unit is NOT suitable for corals (despite their names).
And change out the substrate (as you kinda indicated) as the blue rocks are not suitable.

What lights do you recommend?

Truthfully, I would stick with what you have for now. Start slow and figure it out as you go. After you learn how to manage your excess nutrients in a plantless environment, then you upgrade to corals and better lights.

The 120W led fixtures trading for as little as $90 (55 led bulbs) will be overkill ( but will work) for your tank now, but just right when you realize you need to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Truthfully, I would stick with what you have for now. Start slow and figure it out as you go. After you learn how to manage your excess nutrients in a plantless environment, then you upgrade to corals and better lights.

The 120W led fixtures trading for as little as $90 (55 led bulbs) will be overkill ( but will work) for your tank now, but just right when you realize you need to upgrade.

What would I put instead of plants, just regular plastic decor?

Ps sorry about that last post

No!

Rocks. Just a nice rock structure out of salt water type rocks. Eventually they will start to get colour. A bottle of purple up after your established can help kick start the process.
Google vids of FOWRL setups. Just be careful about what fish you add. If you plan on adding corals later you need to make sure you only add reef safe fish.

Back
Top Bottom