Starting first cycle need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schwebel7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started my first saltwater tank has 4 pounds of live rock and around 5.5 pounds of dry rock and started my cycle last night around 7 PM tossed in a shrimp and checked my water right before with a Ph of 8.2 and Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at 0 and my salinity at 1.025,I checked my water today at 4 PM with a jump in ammonia and can see some nitrites rising, but my Ph has dropped, is this a "normal" part of the cycle? How is my cycle going so far? I've been reading as much as i can but would appreciate any input given, Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 99
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 151
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 118
Hey man I'm new to this as well I'm a week in on my cycle and I had the same thing and asked the same question. Everybody told me don't worry about the ph until the cycles over. I've been testing once a day and haven't tested the ph since the first day after somebody told me that.

Ph levels can swing a little at different times of the day...off the top of my head I can't remember why, but as long as it's not a big swing in numbers you'll be fine

Are you only running white light? Why is your water level so low?

Yea but i will be buying new bulbs before i get any stock, and water is a bit low so the filter can agitate the water more and get more flow as the powerhead im using isnt that good and needs to be replaced before i stock but should be fine while the tank cycles

Its the third day of the cycle and i tested showing 8.0ppm of ammonia, 1.0ppm of nitrites and 20ppm of Nitrates. Should i leave the Shrimp in? This cycle seems to be going preety quick!

Up to you really. When I cycled my 30g I just left the shrimp in until the cycle was complete, I have read that others have taken the shrimp out though.

Don't worry about your pH while the cycle is going on. Just turn the lights off and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels. With the shrimp method, once your ammonia and nitrite hit 0, do a water change to get your nitrate levels down and remove the shrimp. See how your pH is then.
Too be honest, pH is something that people really end up getting worked up about and start using chemicals to chase 'the perfect pH' level. I fell into the same trap on my first tank here several years ago. Just because it is saltwater your pH level won't go outside of a certain level unless you cause it too with adding chemicals. As long as you keep up with your water changes, take things slowly, and act in a calm manner towards anything that happens in your tank you'll be fine. The pH in my tank almost always reads 7, it shouldn't, but there it is. I can't explain it at all, but I'm able to run a successful mixed reef on it. When I was chasing the pH level, my coral suffered and it showed.

Don't worry about your pH while the cycle is going on. Just turn the lights off and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels. With the shrimp method, once your ammonia and nitrite hit 0, do a water change to get your nitrate levels down and remove the shrimp. See how your pH is then.
Too be honest, pH is something that people really end up getting worked up about and start using chemicals to chase 'the perfect pH' level. I fell into the same trap on my first tank here several years ago. Just because it is saltwater your pH level won't go outside of a certain level unless you cause it too with adding chemicals. As long as you keep up with your water changes, take things slowly, and act in a calm manner towards anything that happens in your tank you'll be fine. The pH in my tank almost always reads 7, it shouldn't, but there it is. I can't explain it at all, but I'm able to run a successful mixed reef on it. When I was chasing the pH level, my coral suffered and it showed.

+1 on everything. Especially the ph part, just let it be where it's going be. I have never tested the ph in 3 of my 5 systems, and in the other 2 it's been probably 5 years since I checked

Update on tank if anyone cares (y)
Stock:
2 Dwarf Red tip hermit crabs
2 Turbo Snails
1 LawnMower Blenny
1 Blue Green Damsel

Wanting to get a Ocellaris Tank Breed and call it good on fish, then a few more clean up crew, eventually get some soft corals,
Any of you guys wanna put your input?

Attachments

• sw tank.jpg
    sw tank.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 97
Turbo snails shouldn't be in a 10.
Did you mean Astrea Turbos? Sometimes LFS advertise them incorrectly. The tank looks good though!

Also, people will advise you no clowns in a 10 unless it's the only fish.

They'd most likely starve. The big ones at least. I had a turbo in my 20, (he got mixed in with my astrea turbos) and he died within a week. They demolish algae way to fast, you'd have to feed them in such a small tank.

Edit: OP- Can you take some pictures of them?

I got a Ocellaris clown and the damsel kept on pestering him so i took him back to the fish store, and here is a picture of those snails, i know they are way too big for the tank now but oh well if they die itll leave a shell for the crabs and ill buy smaller snails, any suggestions on what kind of snails? and thanks!

Attachments

• swtank.jpg
    swtank.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 91
  • sw ta k.jpg
    sw ta k.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 64
They'd most likely starve. The big ones at least. I had a turbo in my 20, (he got mixed in with my astrea turbos) and he died within a week. They demolish algae way to fast, you'd have to feed them in such a small tank.

Edit: OP- Can you take some pictures of them?

and sorry for the late reply, been busy with school:(

It's all good. Those damsels are mean... I try to avoid them at all costs. You may be OK with the snails. You'll just have to wait and see. How many did you get?

Back
Top Bottom