Starting for the second time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I am not really new to SW fish so I know the basics and have a bout a year of experience. Unfortunately I had a heater malfunction (heated to 106F) and everything was lost. That happened a while ago (december) and I just drained the tank for a few months due to little money and not much time to restart it all. Now I got restarted beginning of the summer. My tank is now cycled, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate ( i hate judging nitrate colors). This I know means I am cycled and good to go. However I have a dilema, I am moving back to school on August 29th. My main question is should I get fish now and have them travel after barely being used to a new environment? or should I wait till I establish my tank at school? The one disadvantage to waiting is my main LFS is 5 hours from school. Meaning the fish would travel 5 hours from LFS to new tank.

That's a hard one, but I would probably wait until after the move to get fish. I'd set the tank up, check parms until everything is stable. With the move you will be busy, waiting til after you move and get settled in will give you more time to focus on your aquarium and the fish you want. You've waited this long, what's another couple weeks and a five hour drive! :)

That was my thought too originally, however last time I made the trip they were fine and I wasn't sure what the best course of action would be. Especially because if I get them from the LFS and tell them to pack them for 5 hours its still not gonna be as much space as if I would transport them like last time (5gal bins, One for rocks and one for creatures) Any other opinions are welcome as well. I wanna see what everyone thinks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a local store in your college town. I moved a saltwater tank several times while in college with no problems. But, I would probably wait and get it settled before getting fish.

Back
Top Bottom