Starting my first saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obscurereef said:
You need to mix the salt separately in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead for each water change too. Salt that is undissolved will harm fish! Never add salt directly to your tank!! Probably won't remember this, but just in case, when your water evaporates, you must add RO/DI water (no salt, just freshwater) to the tank because what happens is the water evaporates while the salt stays behind, raising the salinity so you have to bring it back down by adding freshwater.

I actually will remember that! Thank you! How expensive is a RO/DI system? Isn't it like 100-200$?

Yes an RO/DI system is about that much. It pays off in the long run, but since you probably don't have the money, I'd say definitely buy some RO/DI or RO at your lfs (most sell at $.50 a gallon or less). If you don't have one that sells that nearby then buy RO water from a grocery store. Lugging the water back and forth can be annoying. It's all in the water quality, and the source of the water can help your tank or cause lots of problems. Especially if you want to use tap (which I HIGHLY recommend you do not use!). In tap water there are many metals and unknowns that can be nutrients for hair algae, cyano, and other problems.

obscurereef said:
Yes an RO/DI system is about that much. It pays off in the long run, but since you probably don't have the money, I'd say definitely buy some RO/DI or RO at your lfs (most sell at $.50 a gallon or less). If you don't have one that sells that nearby then buy RO water from a grocery store. Lugging the water back and forth can be annoying. It's all in the water quality, and the source of the water can help your tank or cause lots of problems. Especially if you want to use tap (which I HIGHLY recommend you do not use!). In tap water there are many metals and unknowns that can be nutrients for hair algae, cyano, and other problems.

I can PROBABLY get my dad to buy it by making a chart and showing how he will save money.

:lol: In that case...convince your dad to buy LEDs...they save 50% of electrical costs a year and last longer than fluorescent bulbs. I'm joking..probably a stretch of the term "saving money" b/c LEDs run about $350+ for that size tank.

obscurereef said:
:lol: In that case...convince your dad to buy LEDs...they save 50% of electrical costs a year and last longer than fluorescent bulbs. I'm joking..probably a stretch of the term "saving money" b/c LEDs run about $350+ for that size tank.

Eh I'll still try that one out. I'm think about trading in my baby africans and turning my freshwater into a saltwater

obscurereef said:
Good idea! Get store credit/$. What size tank is it?

27.1 gallon bow front. It's not very long so I might just get another tank if I can find a deal. My original plan was once the baby's out grow it they're getting turned in for dwarf cichlids/ community fish.

Sorry to revive this old thread but I was wondering if a 20 tall with a filter heater etc would work fine if I added some stuff to it? It comes with everything for 65$

Yeah it should work. Idk about how it will do growin coral cause it's deep but FOWLR is good :)

Back
Top Bottom