Starting my FIRST saltwater tank!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need some advice!! Nitrates are skyrocketing, around 50. Causing huge algae problems. Been doing weekly water changes about 30%, so pretty big ones. Still get nitrates around 25. Any suggestions?

What goes in must come out. Cut back on feeding some. Do water changes til the nitrates are 0 and see where it goes from there.
Is there a skimmer or other form of filtration on the system?

Other than the stock filter the tank came with, no. But I added some red macro algae today, hopefully the macro will outcompete the other algae for nutrients.

IMG_4365.jpg decided to do a red macro back drop behind the rocks. Love how it looks and hopefully it'll benefit the tank!

If you are concerned about your nitrate levels and how fast they are rising, I would look into a skimmer at minimum. That dragon's breath won't be enough to consume what is going on in the system. At the end of the day, with the money you are dropping on corals as quickly as you are it will be a worthy investment. When the algae issues were going on in my tank and my skimmer bit the bullet I lost many corals to being overrun by hair algae. It was totally avoidable.

I was really trying to avoid a skimmer for this tiny tank [emoji26] but if it's really necessary I will look into it.

I run a skimmer on my 15 gallon system and it definitely helps with nutrient export.
Normally you can get by without one in such a small tank, just keep up the PWC's like Sniperhank mentioned and cut down on feeding.

I feed my Reef tank every other day. There is no reason to feed daily unless it is a specialized fish that needs fed that often, which clowns and gobies are not.

I feed my Reef tank every other day. There is no reason to feed daily unless it is a specialized fish that needs fed that often, which clowns and gobies are not.

Hmm okay, I'll give that a try and keep up with my water changes and see what happens. Hopefully the nitrates start coming down.

They will, it just takes time. If your nitrates are at 100 and you do a 50% water change, your nitrates will only go down to 50. Then a week of nitrate levels rising from feeding/pooping and so on...so say its at 75...another 50% water change... You get the idea.

They will, it just takes time. If your nitrates are at 100 and you do a 50% water change, your nitrates will only go down to 50. Then a week of nitrate levels rising from feeding/pooping and so on...so say its at 75...another 50% water change... You get the idea.

The algae seems to be doing a bit better, been doing weekly water changes, gonna test again tomorrow to see how it is! IMG_4369.jpg

Alrighty guys! Here's another update on my 12 gallon nano tank!! Figured what was causing my algae issues, it was the flakes I was feeding! I switched over to frozen foods and so far so good! Have a Algae blenny in the tank getting along super well with my goby! Here are a few up to date photos with some new corals! Got some new zoas and loving the bubble coral!! IMG_4908.jpgIMG_4802.jpgIMG_4783.jpgIMG_4789.jpgIMG_4803.jpg

Flake foods do contain a large amount of phosphates in them, but keep an eye on the algae blenny. It will get much larger than the system can manage, especially once the algae is gone.

Back
Top Bottom