Starting my first SW tank: Snowflake Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your sump is higher, and your DT didn't have room to handle drain down with the pumps cut off, in a smaller system (under 90) I wouldn't take the chance of overflow, especially when check valves cost the same as a good cup of coffee. Just my 02, but I'm over paranoid about salt water leaking in my home

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your sump is higher, and your DT didn't have room to handle drain down with the pumps cut off, in a smaller system (under 90) I wouldn't take the chance of overflow, especially when check valves cost the same as a good cup of coffee. Just my 02, but I'm over paranoid about salt water leaking in my home

Except that the backflow in a 20g refugium is going to be miniscule and part of setting up a refugium anyways is figuring out how much backflow you are going to have. You also run into issues with most types of check valves failing, especially in a salt water tank where sponges and other things grow in the dank dark areas of a tank.

Im following this cause I have a 90gallon I want to set up. This check valve sounds like something I would be interested in. As for the dark dark parts of the tank where things can grow would a uv strielizer help prevent them from growing by removing their main food supply?

I've run a check valve for years, never had an issue with them. I see your point though, I use it as another overflow preventer, and it makes it easier when I work on the sump to not have anything trickling down lol

Ok, thanks for the advice! The flame angel is one of my all time favorite fish. However, I'm afraid my eel might eat him. Anyone ever go with these two together?

Flame would get eaten most likely. They don't really get that big... That's expensive eel sushi

You think? Didn't realise eels head got that big for an adult flame?

I've never had a flame get big enough that I would chance it

Update on my tank. Been about a month and a half since I filled her up with water. Got this snowflake at a fish store in champaign Illinois. About 17inches of pure beauty!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403203020.669558.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403203041.368889.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403203060.724645.jpg

Back
Top Bottom