Starting saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal freshwater that is very stable and running well and a 5gallon planted tank that is ok. Should I do a saltwater tank because I want to try but it sounds super hard. How does it compare to freshwater as how hard it is. I was looking to do a 40 breeder as a first saltwater. Do you think I should?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you were gonna start a saltwater then a 40b is a great size. Not too small and not too big. lol

I have a 40b now as well and really like it.

Salt is maybe a tad bit harder than freshwater and a bit more expensive. It;s more about knowing your parameters and keeping them in check than in freshwater. And the equipment needed is more and they tens to be more expensive such as lighting.

Can I see a pic of your tank

Wow do you have any equipment suggestions. I'm going no sump so hob skimmer lights etc.

The 2nd one is my favorite

The second one is the 40b. :)

If you are absolutely going with no sump then a large hang on filter like an aquaclear is a good choice. Big enough to run what you may want to run when you need to, like gfo, for phosphates or carbon to clear up the water. Live rock is your primary biological filtration so the filter is just for particulate matter and to run chemicals when needed.

As far as skimmer, I would suggest a small hang on back version, like an aquaC remora or maybe an eshopps. Lights will be dictated on if you want corals or not. Expect to pay over $100 for a skimmer and over $100 for a light, but under $200.

Yes I want some corals mainly soft I heard they are easy

Most corals are easy, until you start keeping SPS types. lol But yeah, soft corals are a good place to start. I would say the Tao led light fixtures off ebay would be a good choice, they are about $100 and you can keep anything you would like with them. The only thing is you have to hang them somehow over the tank, people like to use plant hangers to get them hung. :)

Something like this would work:

Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED Light for Reef Saltwater Aquarium | eBay

You def want the dimmable versions, these lights are uber bright.

Got the tank today. 40 breeder for $40. Petco dollar a gallon sale is on till next Thursday.

That is the correct light you linked. I personally like the blue and white ones, some people like the full spectrum ones but to me they give off a purple color. lol
Amazon is a good place to get it too, as you probably are dealing with a state side seller so warranty stuff would be easier than dealing with China which is where most of the eBay ones come from.

What should I buy next for the tank or does it matter

Get a couple of power heads, 40 pounds of rock (live or dry) your choice. I would do mostly dry save money, then get about 5-10 pounds live to seed rock. Some sand as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom