Starting up a 46 gallon saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickgoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was going to start a 46 gallon saltwater aquarium. I was wondering if I can get the sea sand and water and let it sit and cycle for a while. I wasn't sure if I needed the live rocks and filters before I start cycle. Any help would be great.

SW LS and LR are usually what you have in the tank for the cycle. Are you planning on a Reef tank or a FOWLR?

I recommend getting the rock first, cycling with the seawater, then adding the sand after that. If the sand is live then the ammonia levels during cycling may well destroy a lot of the living stuff in there. If it's not, then it'll just make cleaning up all the live rock die-off a bit harder.

Another possible concern is that rocks and decorations tend to be much more firmly settled if you put them in before the sand than after.

Are you talking about water/sand/rock from the ocean? If so, that could be a bad idea, due to the pollution and other unknown substances.
If you are talking about store bought SW/sand and rock, I would say, cycle your tank with the sand and rock. That is where your beneficial bacteria will reside.
You can use just sand or just rock, or both. Personally, I put them in all at the same time. I add the sand, then push the rock, so that it rests on the glass bottom. Others like to add the rock and then the sand, it is really a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom