Starting up a fish only saltwater aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do you have to use ro/di or can you use tap water with a conditioner? I'm wanting to start up a fish only saltwater aquarium.

It's recommend to use ro/di but not mandatory with fowlr. I have used prime with success in the past.

I haven't used prime but the reviews are really good... in fish only tank. All you need is live sand and live rock?

I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that I'm giving away the fish and wanna turn it to a saltwater aquarium

If add more fish you might want to consider adding a protein skimmer later on. What kind of filter are you going to use.

you will need lights powerful enough to sustain an anemone, a protein skimmer, live rock, powerheads and you definitely should not use tap water with anemone or coral. you will also need perfect water conditions and a stable environment for the anemone. they are not suggested in tanks less than 6 months old. if you want an anemone, you will need to get used to saltwater first and i would recommend trying some soft corals to start out with. if you have the equipment to house an anemone, you have the equipment to do a reef tank

you will need lights powerful enough to sustain an anemone, a protein skimmer, live rock, powerheads and you definitely should not use tap water with anemone or coral. you will also need perfect water conditions and a stable environment for the anemone. they are not suggested in tanks less than 6 months old. if you want an anemone, you will need to get used to saltwater first and i would recommend trying some soft corals to start out with. if you have the equipment to house an anemone, you have the equipment to do a reef tank

I'll start with just the clown fish and maybe a couple shrimps then. I figured to get a hob protein skimmer

Yeah anemones are difficult to keep they are cool with clowns if they will host them. Not all will though.

Is it okay to keep shrimps with the fish? Sorry for asking a lot of questions

Back
Top Bottom