Starting up a SW aquarium again need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
im starting up a SW aquarium again after years of not having one i want maybe a 55G tank i need some help on the items i would need to get started and ive forgotten all about the cycle process i remember the last time i had a saltwater tank i did a fishless cycle but i canrt remember how or what to check the water to see if its cycled correctly any help will be greatly appreciated

Is it going to be a FOWLR? Or are you planning on corals too? Are you going to add a sump/skimmer? Any fish list plan yet?? lol sorry i love new tanks!

its going to have corals and i will add a skimmer and about fish i'm not too sure yet i had 2 clowns before and an anome some coral and 1 other fish

I just started up my 55 gal. I used "precured" live rock, and the cycle went super fast!

anything above a 55G isnt in the budget i had a 180G before i tore it down had to move out of state because of my job now i want to start one up again so after budget a 55G will work

oh also i know i didnt add lighting im getting that locally its going to be a reef so im going to add metal halides

well i went ahead and purchased all my supplies except i ordered a bakpak 2 skimmer instead of the coralife i had listed and i added a few more items i'll keep updating as i get to the end of the week and start setting up my tank etc

You might wanna invest in a refractometer instead of the swing arm. i just got one on ebay for $30.

Your list seems HUGE! lol theres a few things on there I wouldnt rush right into though, like the buffers and supplements. The live sand thing is also questionable. I mean really, how live can the sand be in a bag with water? hehe

well i had 180G reef before i tore it down so i plan to keep coral eventually the suppliments are obviously for later use and i had that same sand in my 180 and i didnt have any problems so i figure why change what works lol but thanks for the info

Im no expert on coral yet. But from what I've seen posted I think most would agree on mh lighting. But I guess it depends on what coral you have

so i got 90lbs of fiji LR coming is that enough for 55G or should i get some more?

I would suggest a Midas blenny or a sixline wrass.....because I  both

Back
Top Bottom