Starting up - what type of filters system is recommended

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbcoop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning to start a smallish (40 ga) SW tank.

I plan a fish-only tank.

What type of filtration options are recommended, assuming at this size, I will not have an overflow / wet/dry system.
Are canisters recommended? OTB filters? Live rock? Protien Skimmers.

Or should I bite the bullet an dgo witha 55G with overflow, wet/dry & sump?

It depends on what you want. You can have a FO tank with a canister filter and it will be fine...as long as you are willing to do the required maintenance. Assuming you don't want to go with a sump, here is what I would do. I would put in 40-60lbs of LR and use an Aqua C Remora skimmer (w/ MJ1200 pump). IMO, this will give you a more stable environment that will require less maintenance.

Thanks --- I was looking at a CPR CS50 Overflow

With a pump, I understand it avoids the problem of floods.

Is a sump / wet/dry that much superior to what you have recommended?

The wet/dry is probably the most effective filter available for a FO tank with no LR. If you have LR in the tank, you really don't need any other biofiltration. The LR will take care of it. The advantages to a sump: adds water volume to the tank; provides a place to put heaters, skimmers, and other equipment which keeps the tank from being so cluttered; adds flow to the tank...always a plus; good place to dose additives, run carbon, ect...
The disadvantages of a sump: increased evaporation...not a lot, but some; increased chance of flooding the floor if you use an external type overflow.
If you're willing to buy a "reef ready" tank with internal overflows, you reduce the chances of a large spill to nearly zero. Make sure your sump is large enough to contain all the water that will flow down from the tank if the return pump quits for some reason. I think you'll have a more stable system and easier maintenance if you go with a sump, but it'll cost you a bit more to set up initially. JMHO.

I agree with Login. A sump will add precious water volume to your tank and give you a nice place to hide heaters and a skimmer. If you go with 60-80lbs of LR and a good skimmer you would have plenty of biofiltration and would not need any more. Good luck...Lando

Or gets lots of live rock, and skip a wet/dry or canister...you only really need a skimmer.

Lots of options.

Back
Top Bottom