Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would I be better off putting my fish in my tank before the coral

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm do you mean should you add coral or fish first? Add fish first, You should hve a more established tank before you add corals IMO. You want your parameters to be better with corals

If its a cycled tank and ready then you could do either but corals do best without nitrates in the water so I would add my main corals first and leave the fish stock to add slowly I'm still adding fish after 9 months lol

Look at it this way you would pretty much be starting with a frag tank in a sense which is meant for good growth in corals and converting to a reef

Mrc8858 said:
Look at it this way you would pretty much be starting with a frag tank in a sense which is meant for good growth in corals and converting to a reef

I advise adding atleast a fish or two first just to help build up your biofilter before adding corals.

You could gave a good hundred or more invested in frags then the sudden change such as adding a fish can and will cause changes. Corals will not appreciate this and even losses can occur if severe enough. After your cycle without a large ammonia source such as fish your beneficial bacteria colonies will begin to shrink, making adding fish even more of a change.

Your safest bet is a few fish first, then coral. This will give your tank a bit of time to mature as well. You can just as easily go the other way but id advise being careful on fish and number of fish added at one time to avoid any spikes in ammonia.

Than is for that guys I have a shrimp and a couple of turbos doing a bit of house work they have bean in tank for a week now

Back
Top Bottom