Stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cogus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what everyone thought about my stock list.... My tank is a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump that I'm planing on making a reef tank... If u had any suggestions of other cool reef safe fish they would be appreciated

1 kole tang
Pair of black clown fish
1 sixline wrasse
An 8 line fairy wrasse
A long nose hawkfish
Royal grama
A rainford goby
A hi fin red banded goby
A couple half and half cromis

That's a pretty big list for your tank. A 55 isn't big enough for a Kole tang. They need a bit more swimming room. Also, a long nose hawkfish may or may not eat the smaller fish in your tank. They are also known to go after inverts.

Instead of a kole tang, have you thought of maybe a dwarf angel? Coral beauty or flame angel? Both do well in a 55g.

Okay thanks for the input... Are there any hawkfish that might do better than the long nose or should i steer clear of them completley?

Sorry also I would probably only get one Wrasse. But to be honest I've never kept more than one so I am just guessing on that one.

JustinKBreen said:
Sorry also I would probably only get one Wrasse. But to be honest I've never kept more than one so I am just guessing on that one.

If i only got one what which would you sugest

I have a couple wrasses in my 90g. a sixline, red coris and yellow coris. i had a fairy wrasse in with them too but he was a jumper :-(

carey said:
I have a couple wrasses in my 90g. a sixline, red coris and yellow coris. i had a fairy wrasse in with them too but he was a jumper :-(

So they will get along with each other?

A kole tang would likely be ok in your tank provided its a 4 foot 55 and you want to have an open scape as they swim alot. You will also want to cut back on your stock list or you may have your water fowl up quickly which can be bad news with tangs as they are sensitive. I'm sure someone will chime in here and criticize me for saying the kole is ok so here's an explanation as to why I say so. Tangs swim the length of the tank they don't swim as much up and down. Therefore a tang suited for a 75g or 90g would be fine in a 55g that is 4 feet long because it's basically the same tank just shorter and a little narrower front to back which is negligable if you scape your tank to allow the fish to swim around and past your rock. The main concern at this point is water conditions, with having a sump you add water volume which adds stability. After rock displacing water you are going to be very close in volume to a non sumped 75. As long as you keep your water in check you should be fine, this could be helped by reducing your stock list. Personally in my 55g my list will be a bicolor blennie, pair of oscelleris clowns, kole tang and I may add a purple firefish depending on how parameters sit.

kdpuffer said:
A kole tang would likely be ok in your tank provided its a 4 foot 55 and you want to have an open scape as they swim alot. You will also want to cut back on your stock list or you may have your water fowl up quickly which can be bad news with tangs as they are sensitive. I'm sure someone will chime in here and criticize me for saying the kole is ok so here's an explanation as to why I say so. Tangs swim the length of the tank they don't swim as much up and down. Therefore a tang suited for a 75g or 90g would be fine in a 55g that is 4 feet long because it's basically the same tank just shorter and a little narrower front to back which is negligable if you scape your tank to allow the fish to swim around and past your rock. The main concern at this point is water conditions, with having a sump you add water volume which adds stability. After rock displacing water you are going to be very close in volume to a non sumped 75. As long as you keep your water in check you should be fine, this could be helped by reducing your stock list. Personally in my 55g my list will be a bicolor blennie, pair of oscelleris clowns, kole tang and I may add a purple firefish depending on how parameters sit.

Thanks for the advice... I knew id have to cut back the stocklist i just wasnt sure of the dish i wanted to pass on so far it looks like ill defently be passing on the hawk fish

Back
Top Bottom