Stock list for 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Not too much, but i think it might fit in my tank (66 gallon) and that they are kida picky..so make sure they can eat frozen. Thats about all i know! Lol

Hey Grant, I've got one in an 8 year established 180, and the only way I would do it is if he'll eat frozen foods. Ive had him about 8 months, and he desimated my pods. Even though he ate miysis from the LFS, he still prefers pods.

Flreefer said:
Hey Grant, I've got one in an 8 year established 180, and the only way I would do it is if he'll eat frozen foods. Ive had him about 8 months, and he desimated my pods. Even though he ate miysis from the LFS, he still prefers pods.

Ha really? He definitly sounds worth it though!! Would it be too big for my reef?

Gboy66 said:
Ha really? He definitly sounds worth it though!! Would it be too big for my reef?

Not from what I have read, he would be a good fit, but I have never owned own or had much experience but Flreefer might have better advice on experience,
An yeah he is very fat! Great coloring too! Dropped him in the left side of the tank where I have seen the most pods, swam to the middle and I tried to take a pic then he swam to the far right where there is alot of rockwork so I can't even see him now! ):

Hey Flreefer, when should I throw some frozen brine in for him?
And should I soak it in garlic to get him to like it?

Gboy66 said:

It would probably be alright in a 66, but I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Just absolutely make sure it eats frozen!! And they need established live rock, to forage. I wouldn't go any less than a year old tank. Also, best size would be between3-4".
Like a Mandarin, known for just dropping dead all of a sudden. I consider myself lucky so far, but I only have 3 other fish. 5" yellow tang, 5" Kole, and a 4+" Gold-band Maroon, in a 180, so lots of room for it to be comfy. And it is about 4+".They like to be pampered, in a reef setting.

View attachment 100107

Here's a pic of the group!
Thinking about a Hippo Tang next...

Flreefer said:
It would probably be alright in a 66, but I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Just absolutely make sure it eats frozen!! And they need established live rock, to forage. I wouldn't go any less than a year old tank. Also, best size would be between3-4".
Like a Mandarin, known for just dropping dead all of a sudden. I consider myself lucky so far, but I only have 3 other fish. 5" yellow tang, 5" Kole, and a 4+" Gold-band Maroon, in a 180, so lots of room for it to be comfy. And it is about 4+".They like to be pampered, in a reef setting.

Here's a pic of the group!
Thinking about a Hippo Tang next...

Hippo tang would look great! definitely from for more fish!

armyman16 said:
Hey Flreefer, when should I throw some frozen brine in for him?
And should I soak it in garlic to get him to like it?

I would throw some in as soon as he seems somewhat settled in, couple hours or so.
Garlic is mainly an immune system booster, not a bad idea, but if he's not used to it, it could be counter-productive right now. I'd see if he eats what he's used to first, then in a couple days, if hes been eating, start soaking in garlic.

Well I fed him but not sure of he ate! I can't find him! Alot of brine went back into the rocks where he is but I couldn't see him

I'd just try again tomorrow, preferably when he's out and about.
Best of luck with him Army!

Thanks, I hope he lives as good as your copper banded does!

Don't wanna make a new thread about this one question so what does chaetomorpha die off look like? I mean how can I tell?
My nitrates were under 10 last week, but this morning they were 40, before I added the mandarin! All I have are 6 hermits, 6 snails and some Chaeto algae in the refugium! What could have caused this to go up?

armyman16 said:
Don't wanna make a new thread about this one question so what does chaetomorpha die off look like? I mean how can I tell?
My nitrates were under 10 last week, but this morning they were 40, before I added the mandarin! All I have are 6 hermits, 6 snails and some Chaeto algae in the refugium! What could have caused this to go up?

Usually, it will turn to mush.
That sounds like a lot of trates in a week! I would check it twice, if you didn't already.
If that's all you have in the tank, and your barely feeding the crabs, it shouldn't go up like that.
Only thing I can think of with the Chaeto, is if it's a big mass, light may not be getting to it all. Try to spread it out a little. A lot of people try to have it tumble in their fuge, so that light gets to all of it.

Flreefer said:
Usually, it will turn to mush.
That sounds like a lot of trates in a week! I would check it twice, if you didn't already.
If that's all you have in the tank, and your barely feeding the crabs, it shouldn't go up like that.
Only thing I can think of with the Chaeto, is if it's a big mass, light may not be getting to it all. Try to spread it out a little. A lot of people try to have it tumble in their fuge, so that light gets to all of it.

Yeah I know! Well one of my lfs got 40 and i Don't know how old there's is, mine is 2 years old an I got 20-40 ppm, took it to a different lfs and they said there was little to none
I don't even feed the crabs, they scavenge, I flip it over every night and I spread it out differently too
Going to do a 15 gallon water change anyways, just in case, can't hurt

Yeah, I don't see any way you could be at 40, unless like all the crabs died!
I'd just do your PWC, and get a reliable test kit, when you can.
Good luck with your Mandarin! They are really cool fish. Congrats!

Flreefer said:
Yeah, I don't see any way you could be at 40, unless like all the crabs died!
I'd just do your PWC, and get a reliable test kit, when you can.
Good luck with your Mandarin! They are really cool fish. Congrats!

Yeah I don't know where it came from, but I'm gonna do a PWC so that I can give my mandarin the best chances! The guy at my lfs also said my pH and calcium were low too? Will a PWC help fix this?

Second time I have to type this....Aaargghh!! Timed out on me!!
Yes a PWC will help both parameters, but I wouldn't worry too much about your Ca level without any corals.
Ph can also be raised by pointing a power head towards the surface of the water, to help with gas exchange, it agitates the water. Ph can also be raised by opening up your house, the fresh air can help with your ph too.
I would try the power head thing, before using any chemical buffers, although these do work. I used to use Seachem's Reef Buffer.

Flreefer said:
Second time I have to type this....Aaargghh!! Timed out on me!!
Yes a PWC will help both parameters, but I wouldn't worry too much about your Ca level without any corals.
Ph can also be raised by pointing a power head towards the surface of the water, to help with gas exchange, it agitates the water. Ph can also be raised by opening up your house, the fresh air can help with your ph too.
I would try the power head thing, before using any chemical buffers, although these do work. I used to use Seachem's Reef Buffer.

Haha I do actually have 3 frags I bought yesterday, 2 GSP's and one cauliflower colt..
I have a powerhead agitating water pretty good,here's a pic

View attachment 100160

Should I aim it up some more an move it down?
When I had it aimed up where it is now, it kept creating a whirlpool thing that made the powerhead make alot of noise..

Yeah I would lower it and aim it up, although its agitating the surface pretty well already. You just want some ripple action, not bubbles. This will also silence it.
Sorry didn't know you had some corals, but being Softies, they don't really demand much if any Ca.
Frequent (weekly) pwc's should get your Ca levels up. If it still remains low, I would look into the BRS 2-part system ( Ca, Alk, Mag.). I know that's 3, but it's called 2- part!

Back
Top Bottom