Stock List Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All. Here's what I plan to stock my 125 g reef tank with - in addition to the soft corals, pink brittle star, coral banded shrimp, conch, nassarius snails and hermits:

Mated Pr of Occelaris Clowns - orange
Mated Pr of Occelaris Clowns - Black & White
Yellow Tang
Pacific Blue Tang
Sailfin Tang
Flame Angel
Yellow Jawfish
Lawnmower Blenny
Mandarin
Royal Gramma

Red Cleaner Shrimp

Bubble Anemone

See any potential problems?

thats alot of tangs in a smaller tank. flame angels are hit and miss with soft corals

You could switch one of the pairs out for true percs but i would add both pairs at once if your going to do that. Might help to reduce aggression a bit. Also be careful with the lawnmower blennies. If you don't have a good source of algae for them to eat all the time they can be tricky to feed. Make sure it will eat prepaired foods before you get one. I think three tangs in that tank would be taking a risk. I would try and cut it down to two max. And as brad mentioned the flame angel may eat some of your coral.

What are your thoughts on the sequence of adding them?

Due to local availability and stock issues on Liveaquaria, I will either be ordering a pr of true percs and a or of b&w ocellaris, both tank raised from Saltwaterfish.com or two other fish from Liveaquaria.com

I was thinking 1 medium Hippo and 1 med Yellow. I will scrap my idea for the sailfin.

Thoughts on what combinations and order and time in between additions?

Bought my first four fish today. They will get here Thursday!

2 ORA Semi-Picasso Percs - aquacultured
2 Black & White Ocellaris - aquacultured

They are shipping in one box, in styrofoam and one fish per bag.

I should be acclimating them in two containers, rt?

Yes, make sure you acclimating them in two different containers.

As for the order to add the tangs, neither one of them is in general more aggressive then they other by much so the order should be fine either way. I would wait at least 2 months after you put your clowns in. This will give the tank time to catch up from adding 4 fish and give you a little time to make sure the clowns have settled in.

I'd only do 1 pair of clowns and two of the tangs. Clowns are damsels don't forget and can get territorial, expecially when breeding. I see I'm too late on that and you've already done both. Good luck. 3 tangs and an angel require a lot swimming space. Again, territory start to matter with 4 swimmers like that.

Add the yellow tang last and he's gotta be bigger than the first. Yellow can be real mean in my (and others) experience.

A sand sifting bogy can be a pain and a big help. The 2 spots will die and won't last. The larger ones will cover rock and coral near the bottom and drive you crazy IMO.

Get nassarius snails for your sand, but a good vacuuming when doing PWCs is best for the sand IME.

Clowns and others need vegetable and meat. Tangs, mostly veggies are better, but will eat meat.

Too late for the clowns, yes. They are on a Fedex truck livin the life!

I am going to forgo the Sailfin and stick with the hippo and YT

I guess I should get more nassarius.

The clowns are here and acclimating! 2 hours to go!

Tank parameters are all under control and the nitrate which were >300 PPM are now down to about 5. Thanks to a lot if PWC's and almost 3 buckets if salt.

Attachments

• image-280958800.jpg
    image-280958800.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 117
Thanks!

Want to start adding corals when i can. How long do I need to wait to add frogspawn or hammer coral? What are the things I need to dip them in during acclimation?

Bump.

Also, how long should I wait to add a nem or two? Fish added last Thursday.

New list:

(IN 2/24) Mated Pr of Occelaris Clowns - orange
(IN 2/24)Mated Pr of Occelaris Clowns - Black & White
(Next) Yellow Tang
(Next) Pacific Blue Tang
Flame Angel
Yellow Jawfish
Mandarin
Royal Gramma

Red Cleaner Shrimp

2 x Bubble Anemone

Corals:

(Next) Frogspawn
(Next) Hammer
Open Brain
Fox Coral
Flower Pot
More Zoos
CandCane
Devils Hand

1 Clam

I don't know if you have heard of reefsmart in Raleigh, they hold it every few months I believe they are planning one in May. There will be several vendors and hobbyists with great prices if you can wait that long and make the trip it is worth it. I am hoping to go and get a RBTA my tank is right at a year old so it should be mature enough. I might pick up a maxi mini too for a different tank. If you get a chance to go check out Graces booth she has some great buys and a lot of information.

I usually use flatworm x for about 30 minutes and then a swish in iodine just for good measure.

I don't know if you have heard of reefsmart in Raleigh, they hold it every few months I believe they are planning one in May. There will be several vendors and hobbyists with great prices if you can wait that long and make the trip it is worth it. I am hoping to go and get a RBTA my tank is right at a year old so it should be mature enough. I might pick up a maxi mini too for a different tank. If you get a chance to go check out Graces booth she has some great buys and a lot of information.

I usually use flatworm x for about 30 minutes and then a swish in iodine just for good measure.

Could you explain the entire process, how long, how much iodine, etc? I've never acclimated a coral other than dripping. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it right

I add the water from the coral into a bucket and add some tank water to it with about 5 drops of flatworm x and let it sit about 30 minutes. I put some tank water in another smaller bucket, I add iodine until it just starts turning color. I swish the coral off in the iodine water then rinse in tank water. YouTube - Mr. Saltwater Tank TV Friday AM Quick Tip #12: No Prescription Needed
this is more the way I do it at about the 6 minute mark YouTube - LimpitsReef's Channel
You do want to make sure you dip any corals you may get since you don't know what is lurking in someones tank.

Thanks! Just put in an order for Salifert flat worm exit and luguls iodine. Now to find those frags....

What's the bioload of a coral? I mean, how do I factor that in? Do I need to get one at a time or cam I get two since they will be frags?

Back
Top Bottom