stocking 50 gallon pentagon corner tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nerso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon pentagon corner tank with about 50 pounds live rock, 50 pounds live sand, a CPR skimmer, and a wet dry...it has been cycling for a few weeks now and I want to start stocking it up. Its gonna be a community tank, and perhaps some inverts. Does anybody have any suggestions on what types of inverts and fish I should keep? I just want some docile community fish such as clowns, gobies, tangs, pygmy angels...maybe a couple shrimp, crabs and snails. Im not sure how many fish I can really keep in a 50 gallon without overstocking...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, it is better to keep my wet/dry or should I change it to a refugium? thanks.

I would stay away from any tangs as a 50 gal just isn't big enough. A pygmy angel would do well in there. Stick with smaller fish as you can have a few fish rather than a couple bigger ones. If you can change to a refugium I would recommend it.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I was thinking of having a few fish around 3-4 inch or less and have about 6-7 in there. I figured a fuge is better than a wet/dry, now I just have to change it up. thanks again.

Oh man, thats a great link. According to that link, if I get 3" fish, I can only have about 3 of them...thats no fun, smaller the better, my limit is 10 inches, anysuggestion? ....THANKS

How long vs tall is the tank? The main issue with these types of design is no horizontal swimming/territorial room. It's all used up with vertical height and of no use.

Cheers
Steve

Depending on the amount of rock and aquascaping you could get away with a mated pair of clowns, a small Centropyge sp., mabye a blenny or similar benthic fish. You could actually get away with more fish (3-5) but they must all have a smaller adult size +/-3". The guideline above is just that and not a steadfast rule.

Ideally you would want fish to occupy each area of the tank (bottom/mid/upper) somewhat and not compete with each other for natural food sources or territory. Some will be open swimmers, some skimming the substrate and others occupying a small territory as with the clowns. Your tank volume is good but as I said, it's the layout that's restricting.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for your help Steve, as far as my aquascape, I was thinking of piling the live rock (about 60 lbs) in the corner section of the pentagon like wall in the back, that way the front of the tank can be open for the free swimmers. I really like your suggestions on the fish, I think I was leaning towards the smaller fish anyway. Would you think a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or flame angel would be pushing it...I have about a 2 inch sand bed, 60 pounds live rock, CPR skimmer, (soon a refugium) and perhaps a HOB filter running only carbon a couple times a week. thanks again.

Nerso said:
Would you think a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or flame angel would be pushing it...
I think it would be fine although it should be added last or at least latter in the addtions. It would end up being the dominant fish in the tank. It would also allow you more time to consider other fish incase you decided on keeping corals which these guys can be a 50/50 risk.

I have about a 2 inch sand bed, 60 pounds live rock, CPR skimmer, (soon a refugium) and perhaps a HOB filter running only carbon a couple times a week. thanks again.
Be sure you have a few powerheads in there as well. You need the total flow at about 500-750 GPH to keep it healthy not including the skimmer flow.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, thats a good point about the corals, I didnt even think about that, I have to take that into consideration. I have two powerheads...AC401, and a AC204...I think that should be enough, but if not I can always add another one.

Back
Top Bottom