Stocking a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just finished the cycle on my 55 gallon. I have about 50# live rock and 4 inch SB. I currently have 2 Ocellaris (paired) and a four stripe damsel.

I would like to add a Kole Tang, Flame Angel or Coral Beauty, and a manderin. Would this combination cause any trouble? Would I be able to add other small fish like a yellow clown goby or anything along those lines?

I'd stay away form the Coral Beauty and the flame angel in a reef if I were you. Hit and miss. I'd also take the damsel back also as it might cause new fish some problems with bullying - "hey, I was here first!!".

Wait about a year for the mandarin and make sure you've got plenty of rock for pod breeding and inhabitation. Maybe think about another 20-30 lbs of rock, the clowns, kole tang (small), clown goby, and mandarin much later.

You can also begin adding hermits, snails, a shrimp or two, and a brittle star or something for the cleanup crew IMO.

I'm actually a little more worried about the Clowns bullying than the Damsel. They run the tank and send the Damsel running for cover (If he does become a problem, he can live in the fuge). I have a refugium so plenty of pods for the mandarin (I still plan to wait a bit on this).

As for the Angel, I'm not worried about them picking on the corals, as I don't think they'll be able to do enough damage to keep softies from spreading. But will they cause any issues with either the Manderin, Kole, or Clowns.

What about keeping a Manderin with other Gobies...any problems there?

What about keeping a Manderin with other Gobies...any problems there?

Not that I know of as long as they don't compete for foods. Not many (if any) gobies do pods.

But will they cause any issues with either the Manderin, Kole, or Clowns.
I also don't believe the angel with have issues those fish either.

spence0416 said:
As for the Angel, I'm not worried about them picking on the corals, as I don't think they'll be able to do enough damage to keep softies from spreading.
You better worry about this as I had two angels that reeked havoc on my soft corals and had to break my tank down to get them out before they destroyed everything. They were a coral beauty and keyhole angels. Did good for 3 yrs and then MUNCHERS!!! I would worry.

I've heard of many folks that that happened to. All was fine for years. No nibbling. Reef got to lookin good.

Then one day.... MUNCH!!!!

Havoc!

Heartbreak!

Anger.

i have a bi color angel that pecks at stuff once in while. he really likes clams though. had to get rid of an awesome clam. what is worse about the angel though is that he is amazingly agressive. i dont know if that is par for them but be cautious on the angels in a reef or with passive tank mates

steve r

From my reading I've heard of more bad experiences with Angels in a tank with clams and LPS. Has anyone else had problems with these fish...I could always keep it a FOWLR if the odds are against me.

Some aquarists experiment with numerous frags of varying species. Not all angelfish behave the same. You may get lucky; you may find one who loves Aiptasia or Paraerythropodium, but leaves all other corals alone. If you love a fish enough to attempt to keep it, you love it enough to overlook occasional discrepancies in it's diet. Who knows, you may end up with a model specimen that does no wrong. This is however highly unlikely!

Nothing wrong with experimenting just be ready to tear the tank down if he start munching on your corals. I had to do it twice and I promised myself never again to have an angel. I dont love any fish that much to let him tear my tank up.

I have been very lucky so far with my Coral Beauty, but have also heard the warnings and horror stories.

Just for clarification you are considering a Flame or a CB not both right? IMO, you would really be flirting with danger if you are thinking about two angels in a 55g.

Angels are great, but a risk in a reef.

HTH,

Yeah, it would be one or the other. I feel their looks are one of the reasons I decided to get into saltwater in the first place. While having a reef is nice, the fish are always the ones that steal the show. At least in my opinion. Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom