stocking info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90g tank that has just finished cycling my tank and I would like to run my stocking list with anyone that would like to help.

I currently have 2 clowns (Ocellaris), I would like to add 1 yellow tang and a purple tang, 2-3domino damsel, 2-3 cardenal fish, copper band butterfly fish or longnose butterfly fish, 2 fire goby’s, long horned cowfish, flame angel, mandarine (in about 12 months), clown goby, banner fish.

I am going to set a reef tank; I know I cannot have all of these fish, these are the fish I am interested in.

If you are going to have a reef tank then I would forget the butterfly fish. Not reef safe IMO.

You will have less problems with the Copper Banded Butterfly then the other butterflies however getting it to eat is another issue.

I have one in my reef and it is a great fish I got lucky that it will eat prepared foods. For the reef I would forgo the angel all together. I'm in the process of catching my Flame because it is eating my SPS polyps.

Domino damsels tend to be very aggressive so I would pass up for another specie(s). A couple of my posts recall some reasonably shy damsels if you 'Search'. Depending on the cardinals, some like to shoal and some prefer pairs. The copperband would be fine, but it will consume invertebrates such as worms and feather dusters. Pass on the long-horned cowfish, you do not have a proper tank size and same for the bannerfish (also can be very aggressive).

Thanks for the advise,
would I fit the following in my tank?

2 clowns (Ocellaris)
3 cardenal fish
1 clown goby
1 long horned cowfish
2 fire goby’s
1 copper band (eating well)
1 yellow tang
1 purple tang
1 mandarine (in about 12 months),

I will be putting the clown in today; followed by the Cardinals in 1 months time then each month add another fish in order. I believe that I should add both the tangs at the same time and I should add them last. Would I be correct?

Once again, no cowfish. I'd purchase just one of the tangs, the yellow would be better due to smaller size once grown and less territorial. The rest looks fine, but if you get both tangs then you are correct in adding at the same time and last.

Thanks for the input. Why no cow?

Would it be ok to have 2 yellow tangs, or should I just stick to 1? My main focus is on the fish(es) welfare.

Thanks again for the advise:cool:

Agreed. They're adorable little babies, but waaaayy too much trouble as they start to get bigger!

Thanks; I will take on your advise and just look from a far. Not sure I would call them cute; I think strange but interesting.

Could I have a little more advise

I have had a little change of heart with stocking my tank. What would people say if I wanted to stock (my tank with 90g tank):

2 Yellow Tangs
1 Copper band Butterfish
1 Mandarine Goby (in 12 months)
1 Long Nose Hawkfish
1 Pygmy Anglefish
2 Yellow Coral Goby
2 Green Coral Goby
2 Fire Goby
3 Bagg Cardinal fish

Two yellow tangs in a 90 gallon will not work. They will fight to the death. If you were to add another tang it would need to be different shape and color. The mandarin requires a very mature tank with lots of pods in lots of LR. The hawkfish can be pretty mean. In general you have too many fish there. You`ll have to cut your list in half. JMO

Back
Top Bottom