Stocking My First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxfrenkel19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for help in stocking my first saltwater tank (Have had 45 gallon freshwater up and running for about half a year, so SOME fish experience).

The tank I'm using is a standard 37gal, with 37 pounds of rock (does it matter if its live? LFS told me all rock becomes "live" after cycling). Still debating filtration method, currently have the basic filter the set came with but will probably upgrade/change upon next paycheck (3 days!)

I've come up with a preliminary list of fish that I think would be compatible and could thrive in a well maintained 37 gallon. Based on my research they seem compatible, but I'm not sure if I have room for ALL of them (although hopefully 4/5). So I'm here to get some advice, here's my list in order of how badly I want/need them:

1. Jawfish - fell in love with at store, must have
2. Mandarin - Realize potentially difficult with only 37lb LR for pods...hope to find one who eats live/frozen food, opinions welcome
3. Six line wrasse - hopefully no problems here
4. Coral Beauty Angel - Have heard mixed reviews on whether one should be kept in a 37, thoughts?
5. Firefish - honestly the first four are the only ones I really care about and probably have room for, this one's kind of a filler.

So let me have it! I welcome any comments, constructive criticism, and especially suggestions (you know of a fish that I don't that I just need to have? Let me know!)

I really appreciate anyone who has time to help me, let me know if you'd like any additional information

the rock will become live but you will need to make sure it is very poreous rock as that is what live rock is. the reason being is just that the bacteria lives in the rock and the more surface area the more surface for bacteria.

Don't buy a filter, other people may tell you differently but i think you would be much better off investing in a protein skimmer that will take the excess nutrients out of your water.

the list is compatable but with no sump I would not risk a mandarin! especially without using liverock as the liverock will bring pods to the tank. you could go for the expesive method of constantly buying pods in but the amount you would need would cost a fortune. also even if you find one that eats live food they like to feed all day just constantly picking can definitley see the attraction though! the coral beauty should be fine but i would add last due to the potential teratorial issues. not sure the firefish and Jawfish would get on well as they're both similar shapes which can cause issues onviouslt depends fish to fish.

the rock will become live but you will need to make sure it is very poreous rock as that is what live rock is. the reason being is just that the bacteria lives in the rock and the more surface area the more surface for bacteria.

Don't buy a filter, other people may tell you differently but i think you would be much better off investing in a protein skimmer that will take the excess nutrients out of your water.

the list is compatable but with no sump I would not risk a mandarin! especially without using liverock as the liverock will bring pods to the tank. you could go for the expesive method of constantly buying pods in but the amount you would need would cost a fortune. also even if you find one that eats live food they like to feed all day just constantly picking can definitley see the attraction though! the coral beauty should be fine but i would add last due to the potential teratorial issues. not sure the firefish and Jawfish would get on well as they're both similar shapes which can cause issues onviouslt depends fish to fish.

Thanks for the response Woody!

Thanks for clarifying the live rock question for me. I bought 12lb LR from the LFS originally and 24lb regular rock, so maybe I will try to transition to more LR as funds become available.

I think you are probably right on the skimmer issue...most people have agreed so far, I'll start shopping.

Disappointing but not unexpected to hear that a Mandarin will be a challenge, maybe that will have to wait until I can upgrade to a bigger tank someday. I'll start looking for another interesting fish to sub in, any suggestions?

Thanks again

I would also stay away from a six line wrasse, they can be very aggressive and there are so many other wrasse that are more peaceful.

I would also stay away from a six line wrasse, they can be very aggressive and there are so many other wrasse that are more peaceful.

Hmm I hadn't heard that maybe I'll look into another species. I do love wrasse though

Back
Top Bottom