Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have kept three freshwater tanks for a number of years. I'm finally going to take the plunge into Saltwater...

It will be a 75g fish-only aquarium. Tentatively (and it changes every day), this is what I intend...

1 - Regal Tang
2 - Percula Clowns
1 - Flame Angel
1 - Black Cap Gramma
3 - Banggai Cardinals

Is that too much? Is there room for anything else? (I know, err on the side of too little, but...I have to ask.)

By my calcs, 6" for the RT, 6" total for the 2 clowns, 4" for the Flame, 4" for the Gramma, 9" total for the Cardinals = 29" of fish give or take.

(I plan to cycle with some Damsels which will be returned to the store after the cycling is complete.)

I would go with a fishless cycle. Just do a search on it to find out how. As far as the stock list goes, we have to know a few things first. How much LR? Is this going to be a reef tank? Are you going to run a skimmer?

Don't bother cycling with damsels, they ae more trouble then they are worth. Use a fishless cycle instead, it is easier on you and the fish. the fish list looks pretty good. Just remember to add them slowly once your tank has cycled.

I agree, the fishless cycle is the humane way to go, and they get hard to catch, if they make it.

ntswift said:
I would go with a fishless cycle. Just do a search on it to find out how. As far as the stock list goes, we have to know a few things first. How much LR? Is this going to be a reef tank? Are you going to run a skimmer?

OK, this is where a forum comes in handy. I used fish to cycle my freshwater tanks years ago, so I hadn't even considered fishless cycling this time around. Fishless sounds like a good plan.

I do plan on using LR. How much? I don't know what a good number is since I've never bought it before. I was planning on asking the LFS how much is a good amount for a 75g tank.

This will be strictly fish-only.

I bought the skimmer already - it's a Marineland SeaClone 100.

how much is a good amount for a 75g tank.
For proper filtration, I would say 1.5-2Lbs per gallon. Some people like to use base rock (which is cheaper than LR), mixed with LR. Take a look at a few folk's tanks to get an idea of what theirs looks like.

If the skimmer is still in the box, I'd take it back and get one from another manufacturer. No matter how hard I tried mine just wouldn't skim. For $20 I got a Super Skimmer which while not the prettiest of things and does have a tendency to splash bubbles, is twice the Skimmer.

Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:

If the skimmer is still in the box, I'd take it back and get one from another manufacturer. No matter how hard I tried mine just wouldn't skim. For $20 I got a Super Skimmer which while not the prettiest of things and does have a tendency to splash bubbles, is twice the Skimmer.

Jeff

You're the second person who has told me that. That would explain why it was on sale and cheap. It's still in the box and I have the receipt so back it goes.

You're the second person who has told me that. That would explain why it was on sale and cheap. It's still in the box and I have the receipt so back it goes.

You'll thank me for it! Usually, Marineland stuff is pretty good, but not in this case. One nice thing about the Seaclone was that it never returned bubbles to the tank, but you have to weigh that against it never pulling any scum from the tank either. It was quieter too. I am quite happy with the Super Skimmer, though the piping does not like my cheapo hood. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom