Stocking tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is swimming behaviors and/or territorial issues.

Petco drives me nuts because you go into their stores and they have fish like Sailfin Tangs, Niger Triggers, Yellow Tangs, but the largest tank they sell is like 40 gallons.

So based off of what you guys said, see if these fish would do good in a tank together.

-yellow tang
-snowflake eel
-wrasse
-flame angel
-long nose hawkfish
-foxface

Is that too much? Other then the eel are they all compatible? And how long in between should I wait to get each?

Other than the eel can see no issues, keep an eye on the tang as it may outgrow your tank and unfortunately if you want the eel and inverts will be snacks

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read anything about what kind of tang you have in there already .
But other then a bristle tooth , or a small species of tang it should have been added last just cause they are known to be very aggressive towards new additions .
The blue ring will grow big too fast .
Mandarins are very hard to keep , they are very picky eaters , they mainly feed off of pods , something that takes a system many months to a year to establish a healthy population .
A Foxface is a nice fish , I have a one spot rabbit fish .
It is venomous so be careful handling it , probably the heartiest fish .
I have read about complete tank crashes leaving the Foxface as the only survivor .
What's your system ?
Lights , filtration , skimmer ?
What's your future plan ?
Maybe that will help you towards your end goal of what you want

you might get away with the yellow tang if you buy it small and you are planning to upgrade your tank in the future.... but if you going to do it I would probably put the yellow tang in last. they can be fairly aggressive to newcomers.... especially with your sized tank

I think he might have the yellow tang already, correct me if I'm wrong.....

If so you may have some issues adding fish as the yellow can be aggressive to newcomers.
Other than the eel I see no reason why you cant keep the fish you posted last. The yellow will most likely need to be rehomed at some point, I have one and he really uses every bit of the 6 foot tank that he is in. If you havent got the yellow tang yet I would look at tomini and bristletooth tangs like mentioned by others. The tang would be the last fish to go in the tank if you can do that, it will make life alot easier on the other fish.
Now, as for the hawkfish. I happen to have three, a flame hawk in a 75g fish only tank, a falco and arc eye in my 180g and have never seen any issues, but it is warned that they can pick on shrimp. Just a thought so you'd be prepared. But if you go with the eel you wont have any shrimp anyways.

Unfortunately I already have the yellow tang. I just wanted it to be my first fish but didn't realize it was aggressive towards newcomers. Hopefully the personalities of the fish end up getting along.

Bascally I want the prettiest fish possible without hurting the tank or animals in it

Just understand that a fish like a Yellow Tang will have,and cause, issues in that size tank. If the idea is to not hurt fish, then I would suggest rehoming it sooner than later.

there may be another bright yellow tang that would work... cant think of the name though. todd and carey may be able to help, its a similar shape to a chocolate tang and vampire tang but its pure yellow and doesn't grow as big as the chocolate... bad description but that's all I can think of

Mimic tang, is that what youre thinking? Still too big for a 75g.....

On a different note how about a yellow lemonpeel angel? Same bright color as the yellow tang and alot nicer and better suited to a tank that size. I love my yellow tang, twitchy, but I didnt dare put him anything but a 6 foot tank. I';ve said it before and will say it again, that tang, as well as the others I have ALL use up every inch of my 6 foot 180g tank. I actually sometimes feel bad cause I have them locked up in such small quarters. When they are free to swim thats what they do and love. Mine will race back and forth from one end to the other continously sometimes, its then that I feel the worst. I am very glad I didnt go with my heart and get one for the 55g I had. I waited the extra few months to get the 125g so I could do the best i could by him.

Yes, it was probably the mimic Lemonpeel tang you were thinking of. The actually get about as big as a Yellow, but lose a lot of the bright yellow as they get older. My LFS had one a while back and it took me a bit to figure out what it was because of that.

Back
Top Bottom