Stocking time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon bowfront, I set it up about 3 months ago with 60 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of live rock and had a hob filter while it cycled. I just added a fluval 406, the 4 bulb coral life t5 high output lighting, and the bakpak hob protein skimmer with 2 packs of bio balls in it. Water parameters are all great.

I am thinking about 3-5 small fish max as I plan to have a lot of corals and just a few fishes swimming around. Here are a couple I'm thinking of.. Suggestions would be great!

1. Ocellaris Clownfish (probably the tank bred)
2. Blue spotted watchmen goby
3. Blonde Naso Tang (j/k love this fish but realize my tank is nowhere near big enough.. Maybe in a few years when I can upgrade)
4. I'd like a mandarin eventually but have read they are very fragile and have specific dietary needs. So I'll wait on him for a while.
I'd like some color variety so I'm considering a dotty but not sure which and I do want a nice shrimp. Thanks all!

Good idea to wait on the Mandarin. They are extremely difficult/demanding fish. The Naso Tang...absolutely not in a 40g. Six foot tank minimum for that.

The goby and clown will work. I'd suggest some kind of reef-safe wrasse. I believe some are okay for that size (Pygmy wrasse, possum wrasse, six line). Maybe a Longnose or Flame Hawk?

Hmm.. I'm not a fan of the Pygmy or possum but I do like the 6line. I read it can be aggressive though and I'm going for peaceful in this tank.. I have a 90 gallon with 19 African cichlids so I don't need any other aggressive fish..lol.

The leopard wrasse looks nice, the info card at live aquaria says 50 gallons. Do you think I could keep one of them in here?

Six line can be mean little buggers and hogs when it comes to feeding time. Leopard wrasses are harder to keep lower survival rate how bout some type of fairy wrasse? I want a tanaka possum wrasse to finish off my tank.

Back
Top Bottom